Difference between Jungfrau and Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2019 at 5:08:20 #823872

Hi, I’m enquiring what’s the difference between Joungfrau and Joungfraujoch?

How do I get to the “top of Europe” at Joungfraujoch?

Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2019 at 5:50:42 #922260

Hello Lhtanj11 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you’re coming to Switzerland!

The Jungfrau is the mountain, whereas the Jungfraujoch is Europe’s Highest Train Station and refers to the “saddle” between the two peaks of Mount Jungfrau and Mount Mönch.

So you can only visit the JungfrauJOCH and enjoy views onto the Jungfrau (mountain) from there.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Find an overview of the region on the last page of this brochure:
    http://www.jungfrau.ch/filead min/Prospekte_und_Bros chueren/Jungfraujoch_P rospekt.pdf

Best,
    Steph

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    16 September 2019 at 16:08:06 #922261

Thanks, Steph!

just today my wife and I walked from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, and at one of the outdoor maps she pointed to both Jungfrau and Jungfraujoch identified on the map. I had thought Jungfrau was a shortened version of the name. It’s a good thing I didn’t die yesterday otherwise I wouldn’t know there actually is a difference between the two names!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2019 at 17:46:00 #922262

More than welcome! I’m glad you didn’t die, too, independent of the Jungfrau and the Jungfraujoch!! 🙂

It’s one of these things you never even think about if you know the difference. That’s what I love about being in touch and meeting people from all over the world, it shows you so many aspects of things one takes for granted!!

Having a good time, I hope?!

Best,
    Steph

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    16 September 2019 at 18:58:44 #922263

Stef, having a great time! The weather is nicer (right now) than predictions 3 days ago. So to everyone who’s concerned about a rainy forecast for next week, don’t trust any prediction that’s more than 2 or 3 days out.

oh, we’re in Wengen now and for those in the area, tomorrow (Sept 17) there’s a cow parade starting at 10:30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2019 at 17:11:32 #922264

Thank you so much Stef! Really appreciate the information!

Regards,
    lhtan(lay Heong)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 September 2019 at 19:11:57 #922265

Hi Steph –

<<“The Jungfrau is the mountain, whereas the Jungfraujoch is Europe’s

Highest Train Station and refers to the “saddle” between the two peaks

of Mount Jungfrau and Mount Mönch.

Perhaps your excellent explanation would help others even more if they knew that the German word for “the yoke” is the cognate term der Joch. (pronounced as English “yoke.”)

Geographically, “saddle” is surely the proper word, but from a mnemonic and possibly more visual perspective, der Joch – “the yoke,” as in what is used link two oxen when they are pulling a plow or cart, is perhaps better. Maybe….

Anyway, that’s the way I think of it, then remember that “saddle” is a better term from a geography perspective.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Difference between Jungfrau and Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.