Jungfrau region Chinese and lndian visitors

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:39:46 #816050

Hi – was wondering if any significance of the many Chinese and Indian visitors to the Jungfrauch region at this time of year or is it heaving all year round ? Many Tnaks Donita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 21:55:45 #885559

Hi Donita,

I’m not sure if there is any significance for May.

Certainly I’ve noticed more and more tourists from India, China, the Middle East and elsewhere these past few years in Switzerland. I think the high costs of Switzerland are deterring many Europeans from visiting and therefore Switzerland has been focusing a lot of marketing dollars on countries outside of Europe to try and make up the difference.

Vidhi_J
    Participant
    40 posts
    18 May 2018 at 11:15:47 #885560

Hi

I don’t know about the Chinese but being an Indian myself, I can definitely answer for this part of the continent.

So why Switzerland? Because of our movies. It sounds funny but that’s the real reason. We, in India, worship our movies (and movie stars) and want to do anything that our movie stars do in movies. The Indian film industry started its foray into using the heavenly Switzerland as a filming location around 50 years back. It was a very novel feature at that time for any movie to feature songs filmed in Europe, especially Switzerland (shooting in our very own Kashmir had become passé). The big production houses really cashed in on that and Switzerland became a favourite. It became a trend that continues till now even when Switzerland isn’t used as a filming location that often. All Indian travel companies create group packages where Switzerland gets the most number of nights. As a result you see hordes of Indians together during this period in Switzerland. The popularity is such that there’s even a Restaurant Bollywood at Jungfraujoch (Bollywood is the nickname for the Hindi film industry). Apparently, from what I’ve heard, one of our movie star’s face has been plastered all over the Golden Pass Express to attract more Indian tourists.

Now I’m not one of those people who follow trends set by movies but my mom has this age-old dream of visiting Switzerland (because she saw it in the movies of her youth). So here I am, happily planning the trip to the minutest detail so she has the perfect first trip to Switzerland.

And why in the May-June period? The answer to that is the common answer for any other nationality – we have our summer holidays during this period in our part of the globe 🙂

Hope this solves the mystery to some extent. Happy travels 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 11:24:25 #885561

Very well explained. 😎

See also http://www.newlyswissed.com/5 0-years-indian-cinema-switzerland/.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 13:15:10 #885562

Thankyou for the very good explanation

Regards Donita

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region Chinese and lndian visitors’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.