Jungfraujoch train – booking in advance?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 16:53:49 #816491

Hi, we have decided that a Half Price Pass would be most suitable for a trip in August. I note however that at this time of year the Jungfraujoch should be booked in advance. 1.) Can I use a pass printed from online to book this on line? 2.) As the pass is only valid for one month do I have to buy it a month before the holiday and book the Jungfrau then?

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 18:16:30 #887569

Hi Jimbob18 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You don’t need to have bought the Swiss Half Fare Card before buying tickets for any train trip including Jungfraujoch. You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card here and pick the start date at any time: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Tickets to Jungfraujoch with the Swiss Half fare Card discount can be bought here.

The ticket guarantees you to board a train to Jungfraujoch on the date you choose but not a specific time. I don’t think it is too necessary to book a time but it could mean a wait of 30-45 minutes at peak times. The problem with that is if the weather is poor at the time you book you might not enjoy it at the top.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2018 at 21:58:49 #887570

For more on Jungfraujoch reservations see bit.ly/2JQKKSh.

As Lucas suggests, make sure the weather look favourable before buying tickets. It is an expensive trip if all you see is the inside of rain clouds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 10:34:21 #887571

Hi,

Many thanks, been many times but not for ten years and in the past have always been skiing and booked on the day from Kleine Scheidegg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 10:35:13 #887572

OK, thanks good advice. Was worried because the ticket site advices booking well advance in peak season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 11:33:59 #887573

You may want to buy a ticket for the date you want to go up but leave the time open.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 9:59:10 #887574

Hi,

Just trying to sort this now. We have three adults (including 1 6 year old) and so need three half price cards.

When trying to book the Jungfrau tickets it says that children go free with the card – I have checked the box – but it is trying to charge around 100 SF for the kids?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 13:44:05 #887575

Children under 16 are free with a Swiss Family Card so don’t tick the box.

The box is there for children who don’t have a Swiss Family Card (that is their parents then don’t have the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 15:28:26 #887576

Lucas,

Firstly many thanks for your prompt response again!

So, I buy three half price cards. Then book three adult tickets.

I do not book tickets for the kids and they just turn up with us and their free card and jump on?

Final question, guess we cant reserve seats then?

Many thanks indeed!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 18:10:42 #887577

So everyone 16 and up would need their own Swiss Half Fare Card.
    Anyone 6-15 can travel free with the Swiss Family Card (so no other tickets needed for any trip) but you need to order the SFC when you order the SHFC.

Kids 5 and under need no ticket or rail pass.

There’s an option to buy seat reservations for the section from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch. You can consider this on a crowded day as waiting times before boarding might be longer without a reservation. It is tempting to do this in August if you don’t go early in the morning. https://www.jungfrau.c h/shop/en/bergbahn/res ervation/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 12:32:18 #887578

Thanks Lucas. All sorted, what a great help this forum is.

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch train – booking in advance?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.