Jungfraujoch questions on train tickets & parking

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
RuiReisPT
RuiReisPT
2 posts
Apr 25, 2018 - 6:25 PM

I plan to be in Switzerland in June. I intend to go to jungfraujoch, my doubts are:

Is it possible to buy the tickets inside the train directly to inspector with Visa and Swiss Half Card discount on the Grindelwald - Kleine Scheidegg route?

Is it possible to buy tickets at Burglauenen station to jungfraujoch with Swiss Half Card discount?

In Grindelwald what is the recommended car park with a good price and location?

Thank you

Lucas
Lucas
9644 posts
expert &
Apr 26, 2018 - 4:37 AM in reply to RuiReisPT

Hi RuiReisPT and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Always buy your ticket at a ticket machine or railways office before boarding your train.
  2. I haven't been to Burglauenen but I would guess the station has at least a ticket machine where you could buy a ticket with your Swiss Half Fare Card to Jungfraujoch. If not you can buy it at nearby Grindelwald
  3. There is parking at Grindelwald and also a parking lot at Grindelwald Grund. See more about arriving in Grindelwald by car here. Are you staying in Burglauenen with a car? No need to drive to Grindelwald just to park and train - take a train from Burglauenen.
RuiReisPT
RuiReisPT
2 posts
Apr 26, 2018 - 1:43 PM

Hi Lucas, thanks for your answers.

Yes i going stay in Burglauenen with my car (very near the railway station). I going make a europe road trip with my family (Portugal - Cote D'azur - Italy - Slovenia - Switzerland).

I think using the car to be faster and more practical. I plan to enjoy all day, starting the climb at 8:47 am.

I think stay about 5 hours in the Jungfraujoch and starting the descent at 2:43 PM. Then I intend to go to Interlaken and climb up to the Harder Klum

and end the day in Lauterbrunnen, seems feasible?

Many thanks

Lucas
Lucas
9644 posts
expert &
Apr 27, 2018 - 5:16 AM in reply to RuiReisPT

Seems about right!

I think you'll be fine (and prefer) starting to come down before 2:43 but it's up to you.

Arno
Arno
11366 posts
expert &
Apr 29, 2018 - 2:43 PM

Hi RuiReisPT,

Using the car won't be faster nor more practical in this case. I recommend to do as Lucas suggested and simply take the train from Burglauenen. Two advantages:

• The train arrives in Grindelwald and offers a comfortable change to the train further up the mountain. To catch the same train by car you'll have to depart earlier in order to find a parking spot and walk to the station.
  • Without parking in Grindelwald it is easier to see all of the route, including the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen section as you don't have to return to Grindelwald to pick up your car.

You'll find more route details on the Jungfraujoch page that Lucas linked to. Enjoy the day!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018