Jungfraujoch questions on train tickets & parking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 18:25:15 #815532

I plan to be in Switzerland in June. I intend to go to jungfraujoch, my doubts are:

Is it possible to buy the tickets inside the train directly to inspector with Visa and Swiss Half Card discount on the Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg route?

Is it possible to buy tickets at Burglauenen station to jungfraujoch with Swiss Half Card discount?

In Grindelwald what is the recommended car park with a good price and location?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 4:37:31 #883252

Hi RuiReisPT and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Always buy your ticket at a ticket machine or railways office before boarding your train.
    2. I haven’t been to Burglauenen but I would guess the station has at least a ticket machine where you could buy a ticket with your Swiss Half Fare Card to Jungfraujoch. If not you can buy it at nearby Grindelwald
    3. There is parking at Grindelwald and also a parking lot at Grindelwald Grund. See more about arriving in Grindelwald by car here. Are you staying in Burglauenen with a car? No need to drive to Grindelwald just to park and train – take a train from Burglauenen.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 13:43:25 #883253

Hi Lucas, thanks for your answers.

Yes i going stay in Burglauenen with my car (very near the railway station). I going make a europe road trip with my family (Portugal – Cote D’azur – Italy – Slovenia – Switzerland).

I think using the car to be faster and more practical. I plan to enjoy all day, starting the climb at 8:47 am.

I think stay about 5 hours in the Jungfraujoch and starting the descent at 2:43 PM. Then I intend to go to Interlaken and climb up to the Harder Klum

and end the day in Lauterbrunnen, seems feasible?

Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 5:16:21 #883254

Seems about right!

I think you’ll be fine (and prefer) starting to come down before 2:43 but it’s up to you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2018 at 14:43:45 #883255

Hi RuiReisPT,

Using the car won’t be faster nor more practical in this case. I recommend to do as Lucas suggested and simply take the train from Burglauenen. Two advantages:

• The train arrives in Grindelwald and offers a comfortable change to the train further up the mountain. To catch the same train by car you’ll have to depart earlier in order to find a parking spot and walk to the station.
    • Without parking in Grindelwald it is easier to see all of the route, including the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen section as you don’t have to return to Grindelwald to pick up your car.

You’ll find more route details on the Jungfraujoch page that Lucas linked to. Enjoy the day!

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch questions on train tickets & parking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.