Avoid Jungfraujoch end of January because of snow?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 6:32:33 #819465

I’ve noticed that recently there has been alot of snow in nitpick Jungfraujoch, and was wondering that in light of that, perhaps it’s to be avoided for this time of year. Also, I was wondering if the Mannlichen Romantischweg hike is open in the winter. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 17:04:25 #902033

Hi matzav27,

If your focus is on hiking in the mountains around Jungfraujoch then you’ll not want to be there in the winter. Late June to Early October is the best time for hiking. Although for scenery, the winter is still a great time to visit if the cold isn’t a big bother for you.

There is some winter hiking at Männlichen, but it is limited: http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ winter-walking.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 17:41:36 #902034

Thanks for the info. Also I was wondering if it makes sense to visit the Jungfraujoch in late January, as getting clear weather appears very difficult. Also if I do plan on visiting Jungfraujoch, but am only in Switzerland for one day, and am coming from Zurich airport, does it make sense to buy the Swiss half day pass and the the swiss one day travel pass with the half day day pass, as it would significantly lower the price of the Jungfraujoch ticket? Thanks alot

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2019 at 19:46:13 #902035

I think you mean the Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard). For one day you will make some savings but they will be small overall when you factor in the cost of the card.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 January 2019 at 7:18:50 #902036

Hi Matzav27,

A regular ticket from Zurich to Jungfraujoch and back costs CHF 350.80. If you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card you’d save 50% on that ticket, so in total you’d pay CHF 295.40. A 1-day travelpass would not make much of a difference, but a Saver Day Pass on top of the Swiss Half Fare Card may work if you can get it for the lowest price. It doe snot work all the way to Jungfraujoch though, so you still need a discounted ticket for the last section.

• The thread ‘Avoid Jungfraujoch end of January because of snow?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.