Junior Travelcard – can I buy online?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2016 at 15:18:53 #808701

I may be going mad, but I’m sure I read that you can buy this card online. However, I have followed all sorts of links on various sites, and can’t actually find a link to follow to do this. I only found a sentence that says you can buy these at a railway station. The problem with that is that our journey starts at Basel Airport. We simply want to do a return journey as we will be skiing, hopefully! I can see how to buy the adult tickets. For little difference in price it looks as though I can get a one-day child travel pass for each journey, and that looks simple to buy. Any drawbacks with that if no-one can tell me how to buy the Junior pass online?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 March 2016 at 15:38:26 #849745

Hi SallyW,

You can buy it online along with some of the adult passes. Which adult pass will you buy? We’ve discussed several options in your other thread.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2016 at 21:06:02 #849746

I was just going to buy 2 adult return tickets, normal price, as that seems to work out cheaper than the Swiss transfer pass, even including the price of the Junior Travelcard. Am I right to think the Junior card is acceptable to use alongside adults with these tickets, rather than with some type of pass? If so, I can’t work out how to buy it. If not, should I go with the other idea of the one-day child travel passes?

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 March 2016 at 8:50:11 #849747

Hi SallyW,

In that case you’ll have to buy the Junior Travelcard locally, along with the regular tickets. I don’t know of another way. It will work alongside the adult tickets. The one-day passes work as well. It’s a matter of doing the math: be sure to list all of the (cable car/train) trips you plan to do while you’re in Engelberg. In many cases it pays off to at least have Swiss Half Fare Cards. In that case you don’t need to buy a Junior Travelcard or one-day passes as you will get a free Swiss Family Card. All of that can be purchased online and printed at home through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2016 at 12:26:28 #849748

Thanks, that’s helpful. Looking forward to seeing Switzerland on Saturday!

• The thread ‘Junior Travelcard – can I buy online?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.