Kleine Scheidegg-Eigergletscher train/walk in Dec

• travelerz
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 October 2023 at 1:38:18 #830849

your website is very helpful. We are planning a trip from Zurich to Jungfraujoch in on Dec 3, 2023. We will do the scenic zurich to bern to interlaken osts to lauterbrunne to kleine scheidegg to Eiger gletsher to jungfraujoch. According to the train website, on Dec 3, the train from kleine scheidegg to Eiger gletsher runs only ONCE an hour (every xx:27), and the trip lasts only 5 minutes?? is there any other way (walk? short hike) to get from kleine scheidegg station to the Eiger gletsher station? Something does not seem right. Then the train from Eiger gletsher station will take us to the top. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    1 October 2023 at 3:40:12 #958621

The train from KS to Jungfraujoch stops at Eigergletscher along the way to Jungfraujoch. It is the first stop after the train leaves KS. You certainly can walk from KS to Eigergletscher. It is a beautiful trail that faces Monch and Jungfrau peaks and passes a man made lake. The hike is short but fairly steep and will take about an hour of walking.

Mark

travelerz
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 October 2023 at 4:00:13 #958622

thank you for the quick explanation! When I enter “Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch”, it shows how I change trains and platforms. I don’t need to put in all the extra stops.

thanks!

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    1 October 2023 at 5:36:19 #958623

Hi travelerz,

Happy to hear you find our website supportive for your travel plans.

Per Mark’s contribution (thanks Mark), yes you can walk up to Eigergletscher from Kleine Scheidegg. How you may find it’s not possible as the trail is typically open only between June and October.

More information on this walk here: https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/jungfrau-eiger-walk/

Reaching Jungfraujoch is explained in our handy link below, there are 3 routes:

Yes, best to plan and research your journey using the SBB timetable

Kind regards,

Yolanda

travelerz
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 October 2023 at 20:55:16 #958624

thank you Yolanda to your link to Jungfraujoch. Since all the advice is to check the weather before buying train tickets (night before, morning of….), if I buy the half-fare pass on line the night before, will I get an email confirmation and be able to activate the pass immediately to buy the train tickets to travel the next morning?

I appreciate your team’s advice!

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 October 2023 at 7:42:59 #958625

Hi travelerz,

When you purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card online, the pass will be sent to you instantly via email. This can be used immediately for travelling. A list of reliable online resellers is available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price. You can find more information on how to use the Swiss Half Fare Card here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Kleine Scheidegg-Eigergletscher train/walk in Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.