Lake Brienz or Thun?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2014 at 8:20:01 #806727

Hi could u pls suggest the easiest route to either of these lakes for a half day trip?? which is more advicable to go from interlaken? and how will the weather usually be in that area during mid dec?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2014 at 22:03:00 #841334

Interlaken is situated between the 2 lakes. I have checked the lake timetable for you and it seems there is no boat operating on Lake Brienz in December. There is just one cruise per day on Lake Thun in each direction. You can board the boat in Interlaken West (near railway station) at 14.10 which arrives in Thun at 16.20. To get back to Interlaken you can go by bus no.21 which travels along north side of lake and takes about 50 minutes or by train along south side which takes about 20-25 minutes Both bus and train are close to boat landing stage. Alternatively you could travel from Interlaken to Thun by bus or train and catch boat to Interlaken West at 11.40, arriving at 13.49. I would suggest the latter alternative as then the whole trip will be in daylight and you can enjoy the views from bus or train. It will be cold especially on the boat in the middle of the lake though you could travel inside and enjoy a hot drink! I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2014 at 10:36:30 #841335

Thanks Maggie for the informative post. I would go for the latter one as mentioned above. Could you please advise, with the swiss pass, do I need to make any advance booking on the boat ride and train ride? What is the earliest bus or train from Interlaken west to Thun?

many thanks in advance!

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 December 2014 at 6:40:18 #841336

Hi Alicetsl,

No advanced booking is required with a Swiss Pass; you can just hop on. All schedules can be found in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Lake Brienz or Thun?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.