Lausanne – Broc & Gruyeres travel times/options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 11:49:57 #812058

Hey guys, I’m staying at Lausanne for 2 nights and then taking an early morning train to Paris.

Day 1 – I’ll be reaching Lausanne from Zermatt and then going for a tour of Chateau de Chillon. If time permits, we will check out Montreux/Vevey. Is this feasible on Day 1?

Day 2 – Visiting Maison Cailler & Gruyere Factory and then back to Lausanne. We want to take the panoramic Chocolate train. Can someone help with the travel details from Lausanne to these two factories? How much time will this take? We want to be back as early as possible.

Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 15:21:18 #864292

Hi Varitka31,

1. Day 1 should be fine if you get in to Lausanne in the morning sometime.
    2. You can find more details about the chocolate train here. If you do the normal round-trip tour the train departs Montreux at 08:57 and returns to Montreux at 17:34 or 17:57 (depending on the date – schedule is on then link above as well).
      If you do this trip on your own you could be back a few hours earlier.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 19:23:57 #864293

Hi Lucas, is the chocolate train anything special? Also, we’ll have a Swiss Travel Pass so the entry to the factories will be free. Can’t we just reserve seats on the chocolate train?

Also, is there an alternate to the chocolate train?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 5:41:55 #864294

>> is the chocolate train anything special?

Like everything else, opinions will vary. Follow the link Lucas gave you and decide whether it’s right for you.

>> Also, we’ll have a Swiss Travel Pass so the entry to the factories will be free.

The Chocolate Train provides a discount of CHF 30 to people with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass, which I imagine takes this into account.

>> Can’t we just reserve seats on the chocolate train?

No, it is sold as a package, as it includes more than a train ride: first class train travel, transfers by bus from Gruyères station to the village and then on to the chocolate factory in Broc after a break of 2.5 hours. Coffee and a chocolate croissant is also provided.

>> Also, is there an alternate to the chocolate train?

Yes, you can take normal trains along the same route, except for the bus transfer between Gruyères and Broc, for which you would use the train instead. The stop for the cheese factory (if you want to go there) is Gruyères gare and the stop for the chocolate factory is Broc-Fabrique. They are both on the same train line. If you don’t want to go to the cheese factory, just stay on the train until Broc-Fabrique.

Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 5:50:03 #864295

>> No, it is sold as a package, as it includes more than a train ride: first class train travel, transfers by bus from Gruyères station to the village and then on to the chocolate factory in Broc after a break of 2.5 hours. Coffee and a chocolate croissant is also provided.

So this isn’t like the other panoramic trains where we can reserve seats? Just confirming once.

>> Also, I want to visit the cheese factory as well as the chocolate factory and if time permits, the Gruyère Castle.

Considering I don’t book the passage, I should just get on the normal train to Gruyères Gare, explore and then take a train from there to Broc-Fabrique? My starting point would be Lausanne.

Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 7:55:52 #864296

>> So this isn’t like the other panoramic trains where we can reserve seats?

No, it’s not. It’s a round-trip excursion, not a point-to-point service.

>> Also, I want to visit the cheese factory as well as the chocolate factory and if time permits, the Gruyère Castle… I should just get on the normal train to Gruyères Gare, explore and then take a train from there to Broc-Fabrique? My starting point would be Lausanne.

Yes. Use the timetable I linked to above to plan your journey.

There is a bus from “Gruyères, gare” (station) to “Gruyères, ville” (village) that might save you a 15-minute walk each way. It runs from the station to the village at -06 and -51 minutes past the hour, and from the village to the station at -09 and -54 minutes past the hour.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Lausanne – Broc & Gruyeres travel times/options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.