Putting locks on luggage on Swiss trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 14:25:44 #819001

I have read on a TripAdvisor forum that you should have a lock on your bags on the trains. Any thoughts, we plan on buying 1st class flex pass. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2018 at 19:27:13 #899400

Hi Jim,

I can’t say it is a bad idea to have locks on your bag. I don’t see it very often and I have never a lock but no harm in using them. 🙂

Here is some more general details on bringing luggage on Swiss trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 November 2018 at 20:09:18 #899401

Hello Jim,

Most important is to keep an eye on your luggage at all times. Not only in trains but anywhere with people around. Switzerland is no high risk country for theft but it happens more often than 20 years ago I think. I have a small padlock on my backpack so access to the main compartment is difficult. Especially handy in crowded places like cities and train stations. I never keep money, credit cards and passports in my backpack, only in a wallet which I keep close to me. Sometimes I wrap the backpack straps around the overhead luggage racks in the trains. This slows thieves down – they go for easy targets of course. I never had any problem in Switzerland so far by the way. No need for more precautions than you’d take anywhere else.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2018 at 7:22:39 #899402

Yes, I try to keep my luggage under/behind my seat (always easier to travel with smaller luggage sizes) but you can try finding a seat where you can keep an eye on the luggage rack as well. Definately valuables should be kept on you or in small backpack that stays with you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2018 at 12:55:55 #899403

Thanks all!

• The thread ‘Putting locks on luggage on Swiss trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.