Lötschberg steam boat on Lake Brienz late Sept

• RegulaBC
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 September 2022 at 22:24:03 #828339

Hello, My son and bride are visiting Switzerland in late September (short honeymoon and first time visit to my homeland!). They will be traveling between Zurich and Wengen on September 25. I have suggested they travel the scenic route via Lucerne, Brienz, Interlaken, and on to Lauterbrunnen then Wengen. Sailors, they would love a ride on the wonderful Lotschberg – paddlewheel steamship that crosses Lake Brienz. I’m having a difficult time trying to decipher the boat schedule on the BLS website to determine when and if the Lotschberg crosses the lake. Or perhaps it’s not sailing in the autumn. I would appreciate your help and any other suggestions. Thank you in advance. (They’ll have Swiss Travel Passes)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2022 at 23:51:09 #946906

The information on the BLS Schifffahrt (BLS railways company boats) website indicates that the Lotschberg operates only until 18 September, so your date is a bit too late.

The other BLS paddle steamer Blumlisalp operates until the end of October on the Thunersee. Once at Wengen it would be easy for them to travel to the Thunersee for the day and ride on the Blumlisalp.

Historic lake boats tend to be used only in the main summer season and are shut down in winter to protect them from weather etc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 9:16:45 #946907

Hi RegulaBC,

You can read more about the boats on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz and http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun.

Even if the steam boats are not operating, they can still enjoy boat trips. Boats are there with a reduced schedule.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Lötschberg steam boat on Lake Brienz late Sept’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.