Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt, St Moritz in July

• bwpratt4
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 June 2022 at 12:36:45 #827556

My family and I (2 adults, 2 teenage boys: ages 13 and 15) are planning a week traveling through Switzerland via Swiss Travel Pass. We are excited to do some hiking, have some adventures and see some beautiful scenery while eating well. My boys like variety in activities – in other words, I am trying to avoid a pure hiking activity every day.

My itinerary is below and have some ideas of what to do/see but would love any comments on the following:

• Are there any obvious misses in my plans?
    • Is there any way for me to squeeze in Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren in the plan?
    • Some days I have an idea of what to do and would welcome confirmation/comments

I have booked accommodations at all locations however all can be changed at no cost. I mention only because I have been playing with the idea of staying a night in Lauterbrunnen area instead of 2 nights in Interlaken.

Itinerary:

Arrive in ZRH morning of Saturday 7/16 6 am off the redeye. Take train to Luzerne, drop off bags and head to Mount Pitalus (via Golden Round Trip starting with the cable car) stopping for the toboggen and ropes course. Afternoon in Luzerne – see Chapel Bridge and wander. Night in Luzerne.

Sunday morning – train to Interlaken. Head to Harder Klum upon arrival. After Harder Klum, thinking boat ride on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. [I would welcome thoughts/recommendations.] Night in Interlaken

Monday morning: Paragliding at 9 am. Was thinking to plan for Jungfraujoch rest of the day. [Would love thoughts/recommendations] Night in Interlaken

Tuesday morning – train to Zermatt. [Is it worth stopping and exploring at either Spiez or VISP during train change?] Afternoon in Zermatt – was thinking of a hike (Matternhorn Glacier Trail). [Would love recommendations.] Night in Zermatt.

Wedneday morning – considering glacier skiing (would be renting all equipment) – we are skiiers so thought that would be fun. Night in Zermatt

Thursday morning – Glacier Express Train to St Moritz. We are really excited about this. Already made reservations! Night in St Moritz

Friday: all day and night in St Moritz. Was thinking of a hike (to Piz Nair or Muottas Muragl or Silvaplana). Or just rent bikes and bike around lake. [Would love thoughts/recommendations.]

Saturday morning: train to Zurich – afternoon and night in Zurich. We are less excited about spending much time in Zurich but want to spend night so that we can get to the airport with plenty of time for our flight home the next day. [Researched into whether there is any towns/sights to check out before getting to Zurich]

Sunday morning: fly home

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6378 posts
    20 June 2022 at 18:05:01 #943449

Hi bwpratt4,

You have a well-planned itinerary. Wouldn’t change much. Just a few personal suggestions below:

Monday morning trip to Jungfraujoch. Be sure to check the weather forecast before going up the mountain. In case of bad weather or if your paragliding activity takes too long, there’s Grindelwald and Wengen to explore.

Tuesday, Interlaken to Zermatt. If you prefer a quick pit stop enroute I recommend Spiez (more scenic than Visp).But considering you only have 1.5 day in Zermatt, I would skip the pit stops and head straight to Zermatt. There are lots of easy to moderate trails on Sunnegga and Gornergrat which are ideal for families.

Friday in St Moritz. If the weather is nice, definitely take a trip up the local mountains. Otherwise there are plenty of activities you can do at ground level.

Hope this gives additional ideas for your trip.

Regards,

Anna

bwpratt4
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 June 2022 at 20:20:20 #943450

Thanks Anna – great info and suggestions!

• The thread ‘Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt, St Moritz in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.