6 night trip Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen end of March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 11:27:46 #813291

Hello! My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a week long trip for the end of March. I’ll start by saying that I realize that we’ve picked what might be a less than ideal time of year weather wise, but thanks to work schedules it is what it is.

L

We have 6 nights total, and will need to spend the final night in Zurich/close to the airport for our early morning flight out. That said, we are trying to decide how to split the other 5 nights….

1 night in Lucerne/4 nights in Lauterbrunnen?

2 nights in Lucerne/3 nights in Lauterbrunnen?

If we were guaranteed good weather we’d most definitely opt for more time in the mountains, less time in the city. But wondering if that’s wise for a March trip. Then again, I assume the longer we are based there, the better the chances of catching a clear day in the mountains.

At this point choosing Lauterbrunnen over Interlaken, a good choice? Or would anybody suggest going even further up to We gen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    18 September 2017 at 18:59:46 #869931

Trying to prognosticate Swiss weather for March is like trying to break the bank in Vegas. This is a small country with the weather maker alpine mountains in the middle. I don’t trust the report for next week much less months away. That said, I would rather spend more days in the alps, hoping to at least some of those would be fine, rather than opt for a city. At altitude, weather can still be winter, so leave the bathing suits at home.

Always plan on layers of clothing. What feels good in the AM will, at least partially, be in a backpack afternoons.

In Lauterbrunnen, there are several day trips to make if you hit a good stretch.

Here is a good website for weather geeks like me.

http://www.meteoswiss.admin.c h/home.html?tab=rain.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 September 2017 at 6:50:57 #869932

Welcome to MySwissAlps Kelar419 and FredCh!

If you want to see the Alps I second FredCh’s advice to stay in or near the mountains in the Jungfrau region rather than in a city-like place like Interlaken. However, it depends on your personal preferences. Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen are only 20 minutes apart by train, so you’re not ruling out any options by choosing one town over the other.

I would not recommend to stay only one night anywhere. At least stay two night so you have one full day to explore. Lucerne is a great base. You can spend weeks there and not do the same thing twice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 11:40:13 #869933

I’m starting to think 2 nights in Lucerne/3 nights in the mountains somewhere/last night Zurich airport. I realize weather will be a toss up and could go either way… We tend to be the type to make the best of whatever comes our way. Cold and snow don’t bother us in the slightest, not as big of a fan of cold rain so in my mind a full week of that would be worst case scenario.

Do you think Lauterbrunnen would be a good base for our time in the mountains? Trying to avoid Interlaken as I keep hearing over and over that it is “just a transport hub.”

Feeling like I need to book hotels soon but maybe that’s being overly anxious seeing as how we are still 6 months out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 13:32:18 #869934

Or would you stay even further up in Wengen or Murren? Or does that become inconvenient when trying to do excursions/day trips (assuming we’d have to do come backtracking). Upon checking I was surprised to see a wide variety of lodging options available there, some more affordable than what I was looking at in Lauterbrunnen.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    19 September 2017 at 20:31:40 #869935

Wengen is higher but a bit more remote than Lauterbrunnen. Once you are there in Wengen, you have to backtrack unless you are going further upwards to Kleine Scheidegg or the Jungfraujoch. In Lauterbrunnen, you can still do those trips, but you will also have easier trips to Murren and/or the Schilthorn (which some say is as nice a trip and cheaper, than the Jungfraujoch). I also like the coziness of the walled box canyon in Lauterbrunnen. Best choice between Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn??? You cannot go wrong with either, weather being postcard quality.

The whole area is drop dead gorgeous anyway.

The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer is an excellent book on the Eiger North Face’s first ascent. Good homework if you choose the circle route from Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Grindelwald. Libraries have it, and it brings the mountain’s history alive for you. I have had a copy for years, and it is still a good read on a winter night.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 20:43:34 #869936

I would recommend not staying in Lautetbrennen. Too noisy. Recommend Murren, Wengen or Interlaken. There are also a few small hotels away from Lauterbrennen towards and at the end of the valley that are cozy. Lautetbrennen is not a cozy part of the valley at all.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 September 2017 at 8:30:33 #869937

Lauterbrunnen may be noisy if one picks a hotel near the action. Quiet and solitude reside in all areas near the edges of a village. Across the street from a Bahnhof or a nightclub will always be jumping even if convenient. Places such as this, Wengen, Grindelwald, Interlaken, and others are covered up with tourists often. Peace and contentment are easily found in a mountain hut. If, like some that are near and dear to me, claustrophobia or agoraphobia is a factor, stay in a city. Paraphrasing Abe Lincoln, you cannot please everybody.

• The thread ‘6 night trip Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen end of March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.