Lucerne or Interlaken as my base for 3 night trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 12:51:12 #814855

Hi, would like to have your advice on how to plan my itinerary, I will arrive at Luzern 5am on 30 May, and will be in Switzerland until 2 June evening, 4d3n in total.

I plan to visit mt titlis and luzern in one dAY. Grindelwald, lauterbrunen and murren in one day. Is this plan possible? I will travel around with Swiss Travel Pass. If got time will visit Bern as well. Based on your opinion, where should i stay for 3 nights based on above places i want to visit? I prefer stay at same place for 3 nights instead switch after one day to another.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 14:07:45 #879210

Hi Yeewen,

I personally would stay in Lucerne. It’s possible to visit Mt. Titlis and Lucerne in one day. Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Mürren as well.

If you have a late flight on June 2, you could visit Bern first and then head to the airport.

Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trips: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 15:12:40 #879211

Is that means if I stay at luzern i will be able to cover grindelwald lauterbrunen and murren in one day, titlis in one day and bern in one day? Then I will have another half day left, any idea where else to visit?

If i stay at interlaken it is not so convenient to visit luzern and titlis in one day right? That’s why stay luzern is more like in the middle and more suitable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 15:56:48 #879212

I’m not sure where the other half day is coming from. I thought you would be visiting Lucerne and Mt. Titlis on May 31, Grindelwald etc. on June 1 and Bern on June 2.

If you’re staying in Lucerne you could also have a look at Mt. Rigi or a boat trip.

Interlaken isn’t the best place to stay. If you would like to stay in that area you better stay in Wengen or Grindelwald, but to your point it’s not convenient visiting Lucerne and Mt. Titlis in one day from there.

Are you planning to visit the Jungfraujoch as well? That would then be a long trip from Lucerne. If you do want to visit it, I would recommend to stay one night in Wengen or Grindelwald. From there you have also easy access to Bern on your last day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 19:45:06 #879213

why is it not good to stay at interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 20:21:01 #879214

i just want everyone to know that if you get very confused people like me -from USA…

you can ask them to call raileurope.com at 1-800-622-8600 in the USA

They were very helpful in choosing the best ticket and they even book all the tickets for you! Im sure they have different numbers for different Countries / languages.

But i so much appreciate all of your help. You guys are GREAT!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 20:27:46 #879215

Interlaken is mainly a tourist / transportation hub.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 4:30:25 #879216

Can i conclude that if i have 3 and half days in Swiss and if I stay in Luzern i will be able to cover mt titlis and luzern on day 1, interlaken, grindelwald, lauterbrunen and murren on day 2, bern on day 3 and if there is half more day i can visit mt rigi and boat trip?

Whereby if i stay at grindelwald it is not as possible to cover titlis and luzern in one day.

How if i want to stay at grindelwald, how should i plan the itinerary if i want to cover mt titlis and luzern, grindelwald lauterbrunen, and bern? Can advice please? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 11:12:30 #879217

Have you used the Swiss timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) so far to plan your trip? This way you can see for yourself whether your happy with the time you’ll be spending on the train.

You will spend around 5 hours on the train on day 2. This does not include any visits or activities. From Grindelwald to Titlis (Kleintitlis in the timetable) is 4 hours. Back to Lucerne is 1h17 and then from Lucerne to Grindelwald is another 2h32. So Lucerne is in my view a better location to stay. Lucerne – Bern can be done in 1 hour by train.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 March 2018 at 13:49:57 #879218

Hi Yeewen,

I’d skip Interlaken on day 2 so you can spend your time in the more scenic towns that you also want to visit that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 17:05:22 #879219

Now I have decided to stay at Lucerne and Grindelwald 2 places for saving some travel time but cannot make a decision whether to make it 2 nights in lucerne 1 night in Grindelwald or the other way round? If i would like to cover lucerne, titlis, grindelwald, lauterbrunen, murren and bern? how would you plan the itinerary for these places? I have total 4d3n in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 18:18:56 #879220

Well from Lucerne you would visit Mt. Titlis and Bern & from Grindelwald you get to Lauterbrunnen and Murren quite easily. Based on that I would do 2 nights in Lucerne. You have no plans to go into the mountains around Grindelwald or Murren?

• The thread ‘Lucerne or Interlaken as my base for 3 night trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.