Luggage allowed in the Swiss trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 13:42:13 #809243

hello,

1. may i want to know please that can we carry our luggage with us during rail journey( day time trains – regional and scenic express both) within the switzerland?
    2. If yes then how much weight is allowable?Is there any restrictions regarding this?
    3. is there any cloakroom facility to store our luggage temporarily at the stations?
    4. if i have a swiss travel pass 2nd class and i want to reserve VIP seat for the last section of the Golden Pass express route -is it allowable only for the section Zweissimen to Montreaux?

waiting for your reply,

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 May 2016 at 23:24:17 #852245

Hi Anjit-

<<“may i want to know please that can we carry our luggage with us during rail journey( day time trains – regional and scenic express both) within the switzerland?”>>

Yes

<<“If yes then how much weight is allowable?Is there any restrictions regarding this?”>>

No restrictions. Get on early, space may be full at the ends of the cars, but there is always a way.

Smaller suitcases are better, even if you have more of them. Monster suitcases don’t fit as well.

<<“is there any cloakroom facility to store our luggage temporarily at the stations?”””>

Yes. Almost all manned stations. Certainly in main destinations such as you will go to. And, there are lockers almost everywhere.

If you need more details, I can point you to the information about paticular stations on the SBB website.

<“”if i have a swiss travel pass 2nd class and i want to reserve VIP seat for the last section of the Golden Pass express route -is it allowable only for the section Zweissimen to Montreaux?”>>

Yes. And you may may have to / can upgrade to first class if available.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:02:12 #852246

Thank you for your kind response. May I want to know please the approximate tour cost of the package- “7 day tour ultimate Swiss scenic trains

provided in your “do it yourself itinerary” ?

a

tc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 6:57:30 #852247

we only arrived yesterday so are not experts, but slowpoke is right to stress small bags. We came from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen by three trains and baggage was a real burden. Too much baggage in our case.

The space between cars is limited if there are more than a few passengers, the aisles are narrow for moving luggage, it’s tough hefting luggage on and off the trains, and in some cases we had to walk up steep stairs between trains hauling our big bags.

The message is minimize luggage and keep small.

i would add that the weather here is much better than the forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 7:09:55 #852248

Thank you for this useful information. Wish you happy journey.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 7:54:10 #852249

Hi tc,

I would estimate that tour to cost about CHF 2100 for two adults. This includes the Swiss Travel Passes (2nd class), the reservations (1st class Wilhelm Tell) and the hotels. Could be less if you book cheaper hotels. There’s a shopping list on that page so you can add the costs of all components.

Note that you can have your luggage transported for you if you don’t want to carry it: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:05:03 #852250

Hi Wayne-

<<“i would add that the weather here is much better than the forecast.”>>

I find that a forecast of rain is almost always true, but not very precise or fine tuned. Often, an area will have rain in one part – which must be reported because it it there – but not in other parts, and so I often find the same result as you do. Unless the forecast is really, really awful, I wear light rain gear, and go anyway.

The waeter forecast on Swiss TV ( SF1) in the early morning hours is pretty good, and makes some attempt to show details in various regions. Look very carefully at the icons; there can be subtle differences. In between periodically repeated forecast maps, there are webcams of several towns or (in the winter) ski slopes.

Not too useful for fine details in the Jungfrau region, however.

The one place where accuracy is critical is if there are clouds up on the Jungfrau. It costs a lot o get up there, and it could be an expensive way to see the inside of clouds. Ask at local train stations, touristinformation offices which may have webcams, your hotel reception.

Luggage –

<<“The space between cars [often at the ends of cars – Slowpoke] is limited if there are more than a few passengers, the aisles are narrow for moving luggage, it’s tough hefting luggage on and off the trains, and in some cases we had to walk up steep stairs between trains hauling our big bags.”>>

If I have big bags, and expect to stay in one place for more than a day or two, I always use the SBB luggage shipping service for my large bag/bags.. It helps keep my back healthy, at a modest price for good health.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage.html

There are different services which have different speeds, and I take the slowest one, which costs 12 CHF per bag and a couple of days to get there. Many stations, including some in the Jungfrau region, also have faster services at higher cost.. Delivery to a hotel is possible for an extra fee in some places.

I pack a small bag with supplies for a day or so, and carry it.

If you go from hotel to hotel frequently, those costs can really add up for a family. Or, sore backs can add up, too. That is one reason we often recommend not more than few bases for a longer trip.

I have rather large feet and if when I pack my hiking boots, they take a lot of space, and my hiking staff likes to be inside a long bag/large bag. So, I use the service whenever it fits my schedule.

Main stations have good ways to handle large bags, but as you get out into the mountains, on small trains on meter gauge tracks, and at older and smaller stations that do not always have elevators ( lifts) big bags can really be a problem. I recall rather narrow stairs and tight connections at Interlaken Ost.

Lauterbrunnen does have elevators. Wengen is flat.

If you have large bags, make sure they have wheels.

I pack a small bag with supplies for a day or so, and carry it, and ship my large one. For long trips, I have learned which hotels/inns can wash a few clothes for a modest price, or have D.I.Y facilities (common in many countries.). (Not at hotels in big cities….expensive…).

Do it yourself laundry facilities exist, but they are not common. The washers can be small and slow and in steady use, such as the one in Wengen near the Hotel Silberhorn. I recall that there is one in Lauterbrunnen, somewhere. Most Swiss have their own, or have shared facilities in their apartment buildings, so there are not many D.I.Y services. Tourist towns like Interlaken will have a few There are usually facilities near campgrounds, but those are often a bit distant from a train station or town. There is usually one near a university, as in Zürich.

The lack of easy to find D.I.Y laundry facilities means that I tend to pack more clothes than I would for a trip to many other places on a two or three week trip.

Rental apartments often have laundry facilities in the building.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Luggage allowed in the Swiss trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.