Luggage forwarding with Swiss Travel Pass Flex

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 April 2017 at 13:53:11 #861457

yes slowpoke, my question is luggage service from Germany to Swiss. Do sbb provide the service with that route ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2017 at 14:12:00 #861458

Hi mkaligis-

<<“yes slowpoke, my question is luggage service from Germany to Swiss.”>>

I don’t know. My guess is that DB (Deutscjhe Bahn) would handle it in that direction.

Also, I think that it takes several days.

Please read all the information on the SBB luggage page and links..

I found this statement in the link for International Luggage

<<“You can book shipping from Switzerland to Germany at your station in Switzerland. Please visit a DB sales point to book return shipping from Germany to Switzerland. Please note that bicycles cannot be shipped to Germany.”>>

There are links to details on that page.

I have used the service inside Switzerland many times. Works well. I expect that in Switzerland.

I am reluctant to use the international service until it has been running for a fe years. When International Service was announced, it had more countries…..I don’t understand the details yet.

Check this link –

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage/intern ational-luggage.html

Slowpoke

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    17 April 2017 at 15:09:14 #861459

hi slowpoke,

thanks for your sharing and advice, waiting the international service for coming years sounds make sense. I hope I’ll have enough space in coach for my bulky luggage.

Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 8:32:24 #861460

Hi mkaligis

Yes, there will be room for your luggage on the train. It may not be beside you during your trip but it will fit somewhere. If the train looks very busy try and get on early and use the luggage racks where possible.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 April 2017 at 10:03:24 #861461

Hi mkaligis,

I am arriving in Europe at Frankfurt and then travelling to Basel. I investigated whether there was some service I could use to avoid having to carry most of our luggage but was unable to find such.

As well as the comments from the MSW team this set my mind at rest http://www.seat61.com/luggage -on-european-trains.htm. “Luggage on trains: It’s simple!”

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    18 April 2017 at 11:50:56 #861462

Hi lucas and rockoyster,

you’re both right just bring that bulky luggage they will fit somewhere in the coach. Actually I’ve already had chat with NS (Holland) and sales people from Bahn and they both said the same thing as you said. But am afraid of theft although luggage theft on train is as rare as theft on airline, my fellow Indonesian posted in backpacker group on facebook about his experience; he had his backpack theft when he slept during journey from Paris to Bern. Since he was backpacker he put all he had into the backpack; wallet, PASSPORT, clothes, everything he had except some euro coins in his pocket so he could make a call to Indonesia embassy.

Finally I decide to buy 1st class ticket in order to have greater chance of finding space for my bulky luggage next to me as close as possible. I can’t imagine I have to look after my luggage all the time if I can;t find space beside me. Wish me luck 🙂

regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2017 at 16:09:19 #861463

It is always the horror stories like that that really stick with us isn’t it? Horrible story, but still quite rare….I am watchful on my luggage (try to keep it within eye shot) but I’m not too concerned when I travel by train.

PS I also keep wallet and passport on my person while traveling! In first class you should have no issues either!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2017 at 19:02:01 #861464

Hi Lucas ans mkaligis.

I’ve been traveling on Swiss trains frequently for many years with my luggage out of sight at the end of the car. Since 1980, no problems.

If I am worried, especially on a train outside Switzerland, i might get up and walk to the end of the car as we pull intot a station. On long haul trains, there are not many stops.

And, it is a lot easier to pick up a back pack than bulky luggage.

And, a lesson known to any thoughtful traveler…keep you passport and some money where it is hard to steal. Anywhere, in any country. Certainly, my passport is always on my person….except in the shower. ;-).

As the foreign born population of Switzerland has increased to the current level….perhaps 25% of the population, certainly 20% …more people are on the trains who do not have the Swiss norms for behavior.

For perspective on how things have changed, I can recall sometime in the late ’80s or maybe ’90s when signs appeared in Cointrin ( the GVA airport) beside the lines where people were checking in. They warned passengers to keep an eye on their belongings, because there had been thefts. There was substantial public commentary about this awful turn of events… And, for the Swiss, a sense of shame that it was necessary.

Slowpoke

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    19 April 2017 at 1:41:19 #861465

hi Lucas, you’re right we shouldn’t put passport and wallet in backpack or luggage, too risky.

hi slowpoke, hahaha of course not when we have shower. even I’m not Swiss citizen but I’m so sad to know it’s no longer safe again in there, and in all over western europe.

thanks for your advice.

What I learn from theft in train is thieves are now more and more aggressive, reckless anywhere anytime. Now it’s hard for thieves to pick up bulky luggage but who knows one day they find the way how to do that..

Michael

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 6:53:12 #861466

Very true Slowpoke! I think I read Switzerland is close to 30% of the population is without a Swiss passport – mostly noticeable in Zurich and Geneva of course (PS your welcome) 😉

I don’t really worry about luggage on trains anywhere in Europe – but I feel better when I can keep an eye on my belongings whenever possible. 🙂

Lucas

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Luggage forwarding with Swiss Travel Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.