Luggage overnight storage in Brig train station

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 19:14:13 #820577

I will hike Aletsch Glacier from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp via Marjelensee. I will travel from Kandersteg to Betten and take the cable up to Bettmerhorn station and start the hike. Will overnight in Fiesch.

Eurotrek that provides the luggage transport from Wengen to Murren to Kandersteg while we are trekking. They do not seem want to handle the transfer from Kandersteg to Fiesch. They suggest we carry our luggage to Brig and transfer from Brig to Fiesch, instead of transfer luggage from Kandersteg.

Question:

Does Brig station provide luggage transfer to Fiesch? how do I get the information, including the fee.

Another option is to store our luggage in Brig overnight because I notice we will need to transfer at Brig next morning either travel to Zurich or to Chamonix.

Question :

Does Brig station provide luggage storage overnight facility? Where can I find the details? Is it advisable to store luggage overnight at station?

Thanks.

Ning

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 5:39:45 #907486

Hi Ning,

Regarding the transfer of luggage by train the following link will show you the options. There is the possibility to do so, however make sure you read the details, as the luggage arrives at the destination the SECOND day after you hand it in. Fee details to be found in the link, too:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

You can also store the luggage in Brig station, they have 24/7 luggage lockers. Use this link for details and insight, incl. services available, a printable map, etc:
    http://www.sbb.ch/de/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof-brig.html

I’ve never heard of any luggage stolen out of train station luggage storages, if that’s your question! The lockers are robust, metal boxes and normally located quite centrally, so I think that’s no issue.

Hope this answers your questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 0:28:44 #907487

Steph,

Thanks for the info and link.

I checked the timeline for connection at Brig from Fiesch.

I have to stop at Brig to pick up the stored luggage before continue to Zurich airport. If I leave at 8:29 train from Fiesch to Brig to transfer to Zurich, there is only 15 min for the connection and 7min walk to the platform. I don’t know if 8 min is sufficient to get the luggage at locker and back to platform for the train to Zurich. If I miss the train, the next train is 2hr later.

Do I have to reserve seat for the train from Fiesch to Zurich for any section of the ride?

Is there an email address for each station where we can send email for questions, instead of phone call? International call is not convenient.

Thanks.

Ning

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 10:51:50 #907488

Hello Ning,

I would check the platforms you will be travelling to and from. The 7 minutes walking time are just a “standard” setting in the timetable, sometimes you leave from the neighbouring platform and would thus have more than enough time.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 2:52:57 #907489

Thanks all.

There is no hotels in Betten. I think it’s better to overnight in Brig instead of Fiesch. We can drop off luggage at hotel in Brig, then continue to Betten and to Bettmerhorn. Hike from Bettmerhorn to Fiescheralp. cable down to Fiesch. Then train back to Brig for the night. This way to eliminate the luggage issue.

The hotel in Brig is more expensive and some has shorter cancellation policy. Well, nothing is perfect.

Is this a better plan?

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 March 2019 at 16:38:39 #907490

Hi Ning,

I think staying in Brig is fine indeed, it’s not that far from the area: http://www.myswissalps.com/br ig/hotels.

Bettmeralp is the place higher up the mountain where the hotels and chalets are. Here’s an example: https://www.hotelscomb ined.com/Hotel/Panoram a_Hotel_Restaurant_Bet tmeralp.htm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2019 at 5:01:47 #907491

It should be nice to stay at Bettmeralp. But I don’t plan to come back to Bettmeralp after the hike. So stay in Brig .

Thank to all of you for your help.

Ning

• The thread ‘Luggage overnight storage in Brig train station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.