Luzern-jangfrau-broc-zermatt-domodosola-chiaso

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2011 at 7:14:09 #804125

we are interested to see Luzern, Interlaken (jangfrau), chocolate factory, matterhorn (zermatt). Also want to experience centovalli express from Brig through domoddossola to chiasso (milan).

Can you help us (group of 6) to plan out this journey?

Can we cover the entire journey in 4 days (5 nights)? what stops would you recommend for the over-night?

What would be the cheapest way to travel (i.e. swiss saver pass or other passes)?
    I checked SBB.ch website, however, i can not compare the cost for the individual journey with swiss saver pass. It will be great to find the cost of the broken lines on the Swiss-rail network map.

Your help will be very much appreciated. regards.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 February 2011 at 4:42:19 #832193

Hello hardik13uk! You’ve listed quite some plans to cover in 4 or 5 days only. I think 4 days would be too short. A 5 day itinerary could look like this: you may arrive at Zurich Airport (is that correct)? You can head onto Lucerne and have Lucerne as a base for the first few days of your stay. From there, you can visit the town itself on the first day, travel to Interlaken and the Jungfraujoch (day 2), and visit Shoggiland in Flawil (day 3). Your next stop would be Zermatt (day 4). The trip from Luzern to Zermatt takes about 3h30, so you’d have to leave quite early in the morning to spend part of the day around Zermatt. On the last and fifth day of your stay you could travel from Zermatt to Chiasso, taking the Centovalli Express between Domodossola and Lugano.

For the travel scheme mentioned above, a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be the best option. Its validity should start after the first day of your stay, as the trip Zurich Airport-Lucerne is relatively short and inexpensive, and doesn’t have to be covered by the Swiss Saver Pass. The same goes for your visit to Lucerne, as long as you don’t want to make boat rides or visit viewing points. The 4 days of free travelling would then cover (part of) your trip to the Jungfraujoch, the trip to Flawil, the journey to Zermatt and the entire route from Zermatt to Chiasso.

Our railway FAQ show you how to obtain prices from the SBB timetable and how to calculate which pass suits your needs best. I hope this answers some questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2011 at 5:28:18 #832194

Hello Annika,
    Thanks very much for your guidance. We will be arriving at Zurich Train station (overnight train from Salzburg). So we will make Luzern as our base according to your guidance.

I also heard about Mt. Titilis, but we can not do everything in limited time. What would you recomend between Mt. Titilis and Jangfrau? And what would be the most economic trip between Mt. titils and Jangfrau (from luzern) under Swiss Saver Pass?

We will spend a night in Zermatt and also another night in chiasso as you suggested. Would it be possible to find self-catering apartment (for 6) for a night in these towns?

Kindest Regards,hardik13uk.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 February 2011 at 14:54:20 #832195

Hi hardik13uk,

Mount Titlis would be much cheaper than the Jungfrau. It’s closer to Luzern, the tickets are cheaper and you’ll get more discounts (50% on Titlis, 25% on the majority of the ride up the Jungfrau) with a Swiss Saver Pass. Both are impressive but very different. I think I would choose the Jungfrau when not taking into account the costs and traveling time. But again, the Titlis is wonderful as well, and a more obvious choice when based in Luzern. Just make sure you go up there when the weather is clear.

Apartments are usually being rented for at least a week (Saturday to Saturday is common). Sometimes it starts from 3 days or so. I would recommend to look for an hotel instead.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2011 at 3:38:28 #832196

Hello Arno,
    I appreciate your guidance. It is very helpful. I think we will stick with Titlis and hope for a good weather.

I will look into hotels and B&B as well.

Does B&B normally allow to use kitchen facilities?

REgards, Hardik13uk

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 February 2011 at 13:19:45 #832197

Hi,

I don’t think that’s common for B&B’s, but I’m sure there are some that wouldn’t mind. I would advice to ask about it before booking. By the way, did you read our articles about saving on holiday costs? It might come in handy.

• The thread ‘Luzern-jangfrau-broc-zermatt-domodosola-chiaso’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.