Luzern to Rigi Kaltbad Christmas holidays by boat

• Pogo
    Participant
    11 posts
    14 November 2018 at 4:50:55 #818944

We plan to travel from Luzern to Rigi Kaltbad on Dec 26th and need to be there by 1330. We would like to take the boat

I have looked at the timetable and want to be sure I am understanding it correctly.

It appears that there are boats from Luzern at 912, 1012, 1112 going to Weggis and then connecting to the aerial to take you to Rigi-Kaltbad arriving at 1020,1120,1220 respectively. Is that correct?

We also will have 4 people traveling on an 8 day rail pass but 1 person without a pass, and i have questions about purchasing her individual tickets

My understanding is that our rail passes will allow us just to get on the boat and the tramway without waiting in lines or buying any ticket. Are there likely to be more crowds or any concerns traveling on Dec 26, such as a need to arrive early ( I realize it is a holiday in Switzerland)?

Can we purchase her ticket at the boat dock that morning? If so, how early do we need to arrive to buy tickets? Will it cover the entire trip or will we need to purchase a ticket at Weggis for her for the aerial?

lastly- she will be traveling from Zurich that morning. How much time will she need to get from the train station to the boat dock to meet us for the boat ride?( Wondering how early she needs to arrive in Luzern to make this work out)

Thanks for any help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 8:12:58 #899064

Hi Pogo,

An easy way of finding your needed connections from Luzern to Rigi Kaltbad is to use the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

By default it gives the quickest routing which does not use the boat naturally. Once you hit search and the SBB site pops up you can click change and then a few options pop up. Next click advanced search and de-select all modes of transport except boat and funicular/cablecar. Then search again.

If you want to see a timetable for the boats, we have links on our Lake Lucerne boat page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne/gettingt here

Lucerne train station to the boat dock is about 2-3 minutes walk across the station square. Tickets can be bought on the spot although she can also buy the tickets she needs at Zurich station as well.

Rail passes do not allow you to skip any lines – you’ll still need to show them your rail pass and sometimes get a boarding pass with bar code to enter cable cars (turnstiles).

Pogo
    Participant
    11 posts
    14 November 2018 at 21:16:06 #899065

Thanks for the reply.

just to clarify a couple points:

how early do we need to arrive at the boat dock to get a ticket/ boarding pass? 30 minutes before departure, more ,less?

Is the ticket from Luzern to Rigi-Kaltbad inclusive? In other words, Do we get the boarding pass for the aerial at the time we board the boat, or is that something you have to do in Weggis?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2018 at 0:15:14 #899066

The ticket won’t be inclusive. The cable way from Weggis is an uphill walk from the boat landing stage. It is easier to go to Vitznau and get the train up

On the boat with a Swiss travel pass you can just walk on – like a bus. I don’t know what happens at the Weggis cable car station, I’ve only walked in the Weggis area

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2018 at 8:24:55 #899067

I’d be at the boat dock 10-15 minutes prior to get a ticket on the boat if you don’t have one (or just to line up if needed).

You can buy all the tickets in one go (there will be separate tickets) but not at the boat dock – try Lucerne station or Zurich for your friend. Or buy them as you go but that takes a bit more time. A ticket doesn’t guarantee you a spot on the boat or cable car. You still have to wait in line (reservations aren’t possible).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 November 2018 at 0:47:19 #899068

Hi Pogo –

1960man noted the key point:

<<“The ticket won’t be inclusive. The cable way from Weggis is an uphill

walk from the boat landing stage. It is easier to go to Vitznau and get

the train up”>>

If you get off the boat at Weggis, that climb is substantial..especially if you have luggage.

There is a detailed discussion of making that walk…downhill…in this thread. With maps.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/mount-pillatus-and-rigi-in-one-day

The boat that stops at Weggis is the same one that stops at Vitznau ( as general rule).

So, I second 1960man’s recommendation, and double it. 😉

I have stayed in Rigi Kaltbad on vacations for over 20 years. Fantastic views.

The attached images may interest you.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Luzern to Rigi Kaltbad Christmas holidays by boat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.