Luzern to Zermatt by Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2015 at 13:23:30 #807184

Hi guys,

My wife and I are going to be in Luzern this mid-June, and are planning to travel to Zermatt via the GoldenPass panoramic train. Based on my initial research, I understand that there are 2 options:

1. Take a Goldenpass Panoramic (GPP) train from Luzern to Montreux and from Montreux to Zermatt (normal train)

2. Take the GPP only till Interlaken and then the Lötschberger (via Spiez, Kandersteg and Goppenstein) to Zermatt.

Based on the above findings, would appreciate if you could help with the below questions:

1. Is the route on #2 as scenic as the full GPP ride. As in, should I skip the Interlaken-Montreux route (FYI – I will be taking the GEX from Zermatt to St. Moritz a few days later)

2. Is there a lot of difference is views via the panoramic vs. regular trains

3. Are both the GPP and Lötschberger, covered under the Swiss Travel Pass (is a prior reservation required for either?). I recall reading somewhere that the reservation is only required for 1st class but not for 2nd class – not sure if this is correct?

4. One unrelated question – if I have covered Mt. Titlis and Rigi/Pilatus in Luzern, is it worth going to the Matterhorn glacier? If not, do you have any other suggestions for Zermatt. Am planning to skip Jungfrau.

Many thanks and cheers…

Abhi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 May 2015 at 12:53:59 #842897

Hi Abhi,

Thanks for sharing your plans here. You’ve done your preparations very well! As for your questions:

1. Option 2 is very scenic too. Perhaps some people would find the leg before Brig a bit less attractive as you look down into the valley and can also clearly see the industrial zones of Visp and Brig. But still the ride is very impressive. The way the train is gradually coming down the mountain is a bit like a plane landing. If you would choose option 1, the Golden Pass line is very scenic, but the leg from Montreux to Visp isn’t that pretty everywhere either. Option 1 takes 2 to 3 hours more. Does this help making a choice?

2. The views are identical, and so are the routes. Panoramic windows are very nice, but in the end you’ll see the same scenery.

3. Both are covered, and you don’t need to book seats, please see here.

4. Yes, it’s certainly worth it. I would choose the ride to the Gornergrat.

Swiss Travel Pass prices and discounts can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 17:33:32 #842898

Thanks for you inputs Arnold. Appreciate it !!

Few follow-ups.

1. Are the views along the golden pass line very different to those on the glacier express.

2. Unfortunately, I have only 1 full day in zermatt other than the day I’m arriving there – so want to make the most of it. So here’s what I’m thinking :

day 1: reach zermatt around 4pm. Explore the town. Any suggestions ?

Day 2: gornergrat or Klein ? Or both ? How much time would each of the options take? Also is the cogwheel train covered in the Swiss pass or 25-50% discount is what u get?

Many thanks for your input.

Cheers…

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 May 2015 at 17:51:45 #842899

Hi Abhi,

1. The Glacier Express is crossing the Oberalp Pass and the Rhine Gorge, for example, which are entirely different from the Golden Pass line. Please see here for the route.

2. Day 1: theoretically you could just make it to the Gornergrat, as the last train down is around 7 PM. It’s an option if the weather if wonderful. Otherwise I would indeed just explore town, do a short walk. Day 2: each takes a couple of hours. They’re all 50% off as you can see on the map. Please see the page Arno gave you, plus this Klein Matterhorn page, to make a choice. Both are very different experiences.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2015 at 1:22:40 #842900

Thanks Annika. Cheers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2015 at 20:20:26 #842901

Maybe not essential as Arno says, but from my limited experience the panoramic coaches are better. I recall you can see through the roof as well which can be effective with certain types of topography. So if there are no other factors e.g. preferred time of travel, I would recommend a panoramic coach – even if it’s not worth rescheduling for that reason alone.

• The thread ‘Luzern to Zermatt by Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.