May I have your thoughts on this itinerary ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2011 at 7:50:59 #804608

Hello,

Having read through posts and webpages on this forum and others, is the 14 day itinerary I have come up with.

The places where we will stay overnight is given inbrackets. We will be purchasing a 15 day Swiss Saver pass as thereis travel practically every day as well as opting for a stay with the Engadine All Inclusive pass.

I would be grateful for your thoughts on (1) Is this practical (2) Too rushed (3) Am I doubling up my route anywhere (4) thoughts on Thun / Niederhon) as a place to explore (5)Where are the places which should be dropped (6) Are they any must see places I should add on?

The Reichenbach falls is possibly a miss, but I am a Sherlock Holmes fan and cannot miss the places where he “died” 😉
    While on waterfalls,even after all that reading, I am a bit fuzzy about the approach to theTrummelbach falls ; are there really close to a thousand steps to climb or is this a slight exaggeration?
    Thanks for your time and assistance.

GC

Day1 Reach Zurich ;Leave for Upper Engadine UPPER ENGADINE)
    Day2 MorteratschGlacier; Take the Bernina Express to Alp Grum ; Hike from AlpGrüm to Ospizio Bernina Station (UPPER ENGADINE)
    Day3 Hikes around Sils (UPPER ENGADINE)
    Day4 Piz Nair / Marguns / Celerina (UPPER ENGADINE)
    Day5 Glacier Express to Zermatt (ZERMATT)
    Day6 Gornergrat; Walk around Zermatt (ZERMATT)
    Day7 Klein Matterhorn;Explore surrounding areas (To finalise between LAUTERBRUNNEN ORWENGEN)
    Day8 (1)Wengen -Lauterbrunnen -Grutschalp – Muerren – Schilthorn (2) Muerren – Gimmelwald – Stechelberg – Trummelbach Falls (L or W)
    Day9 (1)Wengen- Lauterbrunnen – Wilderswil – Shynigge Platte Bahn. (2) Interlaken East – Giessbach- Meiringen- Aareschlucht- Reichenbach falls (L or W)
    Day10 St Beatus Caves- Beatenbucht – Beatenburg – (Niederhorn is it worth a trip?)-Thun (is the town worth exploring?) (L or W)
    Day11 Jungfraujoch ; Hike from Mannlichen- Klein Shyndigge ; Grindelwald ; First to Bachalpsee Hike (L or W)
    Day12 Bern (L or W)
    Day 13 Lucern (LUCERN)
    Day14 Depart Zurich

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 August 2011 at 5:43:50 #833887

Hi GC! Your itinerary looks great and the 15 day Swiss Saver Pass is a good decision. Some days are a bit full though, especially day 9, 10 and 11. You may want to skip some of the trips and hikes here and consider weather circumstances too. For example: if weather is great, you may want to spend more time up at Schynige Platte and the Niederhorn (which indeed is worth a visit in clear weather) and skip the Beatus caves which are inside the mountain and the Aareschlucht, which is nice in rainy weather as well. Alternatively, visit the caves and the gorge in bad weather and don’t spend time and money on viewing points which may be covered in clouds. The general timetable and the Jungfrau railways timetable (which includes Kleine Scheidegg, Männlichen, First, and so on) will help you in deciding whether your plans are doable.

Yes, Thun is a nice town and worth exploring. And as for the Trümmelbach falls: they’re in the Lauterbrunnen valley and can be reached very easily. Please find all information in this topic. I think you’ve mistaken it for the Grindelwald glacier, which is accessible through lots of stairs :-).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2011 at 22:32:15 #833888

I’ve cut down quite a bit off Week 2 taking it much slower. (Wengen- Lauterbrunnen – Wilderswil – Shynigge Platte Bahn and First to Bachalpsee Hike). Have removed Bern and spending the extra day in the BO itself so will do one of these hikes on this day.

You have been extremely helpful Annika. Thank you again 🙂

• The thread ‘May I have your thoughts on this itinerary ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.