May 19 – Which hike is suitable in Jungfrau Region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2018 at 0:18:56 #818647

I will be travelling with my partner to Switzerland in May-19.

We will stay 4 nights in Grindelwald (03-07 May 2019).

We would like to do some hiking/trekking during the 4 days. However, we read from forum that some of the trail will be closed for maintenance from end April to end May.

Would like to seek for your advice if we can still go ahead with our plan for the below during the 4 days trip:-

1. First Grindelwald to Bachalpsee

2. Grutschalp to Murren

3. Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

4. Schynige Platte – Louchernhorn – Schynige Platte

If yes, any precaution step that we need to take/anything to avoid?

Or any suggestion trail which is better other than the above?

Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2018 at 6:48:19 #897685

Hi sy88,

I wouldn’t count on any of those hikes (http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king) being open except perhaps #2 – http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

It isn’t maintenance closures but rather snow levels that dictate opening dates – anything over 2000 meters tends to open in June sometime. I’d make a list of a few hikes under 1500 meters to plan on and then check with the local tourist office when you are there to see which are open/accessible.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    10 October 2018 at 12:24:20 #897686

Hello Sy88,

I just recently (in September of this year) hiked number’s 2 and 3. and was fortunate enough to have fantastic weather for #2. Awesome hike. The Jungfrau was straight in front of me for 2 plus hours. I also hiked #3 the next day with overcast skies but the Eiger was in front the whole time. Very imposing, very beautiful to see for a couple hours. Truly awesome hikes. I wanted todo #’s 1 and 4. Number 1 was not in the cards as the weather was not good down in Grindelwald the whole time I was there. And for number 4, I just plain ran out of time. I pored over brochures for probably close to 5 months and I still had no particular itinerary for the Jungfrau region. A lot of it also depends on the weather so one is best to be flexible in that regard. I used Wengen for my base for 3 nights I was there. Very happy with my choice.

There are no bad hikes as far as I can tell. Whichever you do choose to do, will be worth it. It’s just a matter of what you ultimately end up doing. I just have to go back and do some of the things I missed. I’m not sure about the time of year, as Lucas has stated, but September was a beautiful time to visit. You have lots of time to make plans, change them, etc. Whichever you choose, have a great trip, as it will be hard not to.

Danielsan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 October 2018 at 23:13:06 #897687

Lucas pointed out the role of altitude.

This map will show you hiking trails and, most importantly, altitudes:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 37359.79&N=1164988.46& zoom=5

This explains the color coding on the trails:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Webcams and local tourist offices wil be valuable sources of information about trail conditions:

en.swisswebcams.ch/kat egorien

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘May 19 – Which hike is suitable in Jungfrau Region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.