2nd trip to Switzerland- is the Matterhorn a must?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
PsBpix
PsBpix
2 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 12:30 AM

My husband and I will be ending an 18-day trip of a lifetime with 5 days in Switzerland in July.

Through research and recommendations we've decided to base ourselves in the Upper Engadine region (Samedan). We're training up from Venice.

We're 58 and 62 and love hiking and nature, good food and beer and are really looking forward to staying put in the same hotel for 4 days and 3 nights after a whirlwind previous 14 days.

Our last night is still up in the air. We're flying out of Zurich on a Sunday night (17:30) back to the States and wonder if we should stay put, or travel to Lucerne, Zermatt or Zurich for our last day/night?

As much as we want to see the Matterhorn, we're figuring it may not make a lot of sense to travel all that way if indeed we get a foggy or rainy day.

Certainly looks to be a lot to do/see in Upper or Lower Engadine if we choose to stay another night.

OR are we better off using our time to head off for a brief 24 hours elsewhere? I know Lucerne is very close to Zurich so making our flight wouldn't be a problem.

OR head to Zurich Saturday for an overnight/Sunday morning before reporting to the airport at 14:30?

I know it is our decision, but would really like to hear what you guys would recommend in this situation. At first, I thought I'd really like my husband to see Zurich, but after reading about how beautiful the surrounding areas are, I'm not sure.

Small backstory = I was in Zurich as a senior in high school. My first trip outside the US.

Which brings me to my ultimate question: Can I have been in Switzerland TWICE - and NEVER seen the Matterhorn?

Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
4072 posts
expert
Jan 27, 2018 - 3:41 AM in reply to PsBpix

Hi PsBpix and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Tough call. Glacier Express from Samedan won't get you to Zermatt before 17:00 and next morning you'd have to leave by 10:30 to get to Zurich Airport.

Lucerne is lovely. Samedan to Andermatt to Flüelen to Lucerne (by paddle steamer) might make a nice trip if you are into lazing about on boats

In answer to your ultimate question. Probably. There's always next time. 😎

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jan 27, 2018 - 7:53 AM in reply to PsBpix

Personally, I would prefer somewhere closer to the airport than Samedan on my last night. Klosters Platz or Bad Ragaz might be options if you can find somewhere close to the station within your budget.

Getting to Klosters Platz from Samedan is very scenic (though you do spend 20 minutes in the Vereina Tunnel), and from Klosters Platz to about Küblis is also very scenic.

I have written about this trip in a post dated Feb 28, 2017 - 4:36 AM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos

If you are after some ideas for excursions from Samedan, you might be interested in reading my trip reports (with photos) on a few places in the Lower Engadin:

Scuol mid-October 2016

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scuol

Guarda October 2016

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadine-guarda-october-2016

PostBus over the Flüela Pass

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-postbus-over-the-fluela-pass

Ftan

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-lower-engadin-ftan

Bregaglia Valley - Soglio

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-bregaglia-valley-soglio

Other ideas are

• taking the cable car to view the Diavolezza Glacier
  • the walk to view the Morteratsch Glacier
  • St. Moritz–Chantarella–Corviglia–Piz Nair via funiculars and cable car
  • Muottas Muragl funicular for outstanding views or the hike to Alp Languard.

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/morteratschglacie r

www.myswissalps.com/hi king/muottasmuragl-alplanguard

You can see some photos of the Diavolezza Glacier attached to my post of Jul 28, 2017 - 5:42 AM on the following page:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/alternate-trains-for-glacier-express

I have attached some photos from Piz Nair below.

As you have not seen the Matterhorn, it is clearly your destiny to return for another visit ;-)

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jan 27, 2018 - 7:55 AM by Removed user
Please login to see the attached documents
PsBpix
PsBpix
2 posts
Jan 28, 2018 - 12:48 AM

Thank you both. It seems instead of narrowing my choices, you've broadened them :)

I'll be pretty busy this week checking out information you've given me.

Alpenrose, those pictures! Just beautiful.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018