Lake Lucerne boat trips
A boat trip at the lake is a great way to explore the area at a pleasant pace. It can easily be combined with a visit to other attractions.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Lake Lucerne cruises
There are many different boat trips available at the 38 km long Lake Lucerne. Options range from one hour round trips between Lucerne and Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock with the modern Bürgenstock catamaran, to 3-hour trips from Lucerne to Flüelen, and anything in between. Both steam boats as well as motor vessels are part of the fleet. Whatever you choose, a boat trip is a great way to enjoy the beautiful region at a slow pace. The boats have first and second class sections. First class is usually at the upper deck. Also there's either a restaurant or a bistro on board.
On all regular trips, you can just hop on and off with a valid ticket or rail pass. Apart from that, many special cruises are available that require advance booking and additional payment. They include a cheese fondue and raclette cruise, a candlelight trip, and a jazz and dixie cruise, just to name a few.
Route suggestions for Lake Lucerne
You can cross the entire lake by boat and hop on and off as you like. Here are just some suggestions for trips made from Lucerne;
- take a boat from Lucerne to Brunnen. You way want to visit the Victorinox museum while visiting Brunnen, before catching a bus to Küssnacht and a train back to Lucerne;
- enjoy a boat ride from Lucerne to Beckenried, and then a combined bus and train journey back to Lucerne;
- stay on board of the boat during the full stretch from Lucerne to Flüelen, at the utmost southern end of the lake, and catch a train back to Lucerne;
- get on the Bürgenstock Express: a short trip on a modern catamaran allowing you to explore the luxurious Bürgenstock resort.
Combine a boat trip with visits to Rigi or Pilatus
A boat ride on Lake Lucerne can well be combined with a visit to the famous mountains of Rigi or Pilatus:
- you can take a boat to Weggis or Vitznau and travel up to the Rigi;
- one way to reach the Pilatus is to take the boat to Alpnachstad and then the funicular from there.
Although sunny clear weather is great for a boat trip, it's still worth it if it's cloudy or drizzling. Check the timetable in order to see what trip suits you best or how to combine it with another attraction.