MOB railway Montreux – Zweisimmen observation cars

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2023 at 22:58:20 #829820

I passed through Montreux a few times on my recent visit to Switzerland, and the MOB railway was using two trainsets with one each of the old panorama cars with ‘VIP’ forwards looking observation saloons, so at present quite a few of the trains on that section will be using these two train sets

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    11 May 2023 at 19:12:07 #954315

Hi everyone,

This relates to the VIP seats on the GoldenPass trains. Availability is limited however there are now some options, per 1960man’s post.

Additional information on the GoldenPass train route and seating can be found here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    12 May 2023 at 18:08:25 #954316

I contacted MOB via email and they responded that it is not possible to book seats on the VIP online. The only way is to check at the station if the train offers it.

Anna
    6384 posts
    12 May 2023 at 18:44:40 #954317

Hi Ventsislav,

That’s right. Currently you can only book the VIP seats directly from the station.

Thanks for sharing this important detail.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2023 at 23:09:53 #954318

Yes, this is because there is no guarantee that the trains I was referring to will stay in the same formation, nor which actual service the ‘observation’ cars will be allocated to. After some time when it was even more uncertain that these carriages were in regular use, I started this thread to flag up that they seem to be in regular use at present.

Ventsislav
    Participant
    75 posts
    13 May 2023 at 9:26:28 #954319

With Zweisimmen and Montreux being start and end point (and vice versa) of this VIP option, correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2023 at 12:04:26 #954320

That’s correct.

MOB railway has been modernising its fleet completely in the last few years. MOB now employs:

• All the older trains randomly in all other services (Montreux – Zweisimmen)
    • the new GoldenPass Express vehicles (in theory usable as far as Interlaken (until the technical track problem got in the way)

Until a few years ago the ‘old’ observation cars (there are only two) were positioned at each end (with the powered locomotive in the middle ) of what was then known as the Crystal Panoramic Express (to distinguish it from the MOB’s ‘Super Panoramic’ train with just the older panoramic coaches (!). The Crystal Panoramic train ran at specific times so MOB was able to sell VIP seats in advance as the train was always booked to cover the same services each day.

• The thread ‘MOB railway Montreux – Zweisimmen observation cars’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.