Montreux and Jungfrau area in 8 days with kids

• Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    25 September 2019 at 14:22:29 #823981

Hi,

Before I go into the details of our trip, I really would like to thank the Myswissalps team for the amazing contribution, feedback, (not to mention patience!) towards all the trip planning queries. Seriously, I really do not know what I would have done without your help! When I first started planning, it was just so overwhelming… but thankfully, as I started going through all the input provided on the site and later, the threads, it all fell into place! So thank you, thank you, thank you! We visited Switzerland, Paris and Munich and I would say, Switzerland was our favorite!

I travelled with my husband and 2 young kids (5y and 22m). We bought the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass.

We stayed 3 nights in Montreux and the itinerary went like this:

Day 1 – We landed that morning. Initial plan was to visit Rochers de Naye but weather wasn’t good. So we decided to visit Chillon Castle instead. Took a quick bus ride there. Castle was beautiful and I would recommend the audio guide too. Entire thing took about 1/1-5hours. Came out and let the kids play by the lake. It was so beautiful and peaceful. We then decided to do the picturesque walk back to Montreux as far as we could with the kids. This is a beautiful walk. About 3/4th of the way, our 5yr old caved in and so we did the rest of the journey by bus. Our initial plan was to take the boat cruise back to Montreux but we couldn’t make the times, so decided to do it the next day. Back in Montreux by the lake, there are loads of beautiful little playgrounds to let your little ones loose. Would really recommend, just taking the time to roam around freely and take in the lovely Montreux vibe.

Day 2 – Rochers de Naye (train journey from Haut de Caux covered 50%) This was the only day, the weather wasn’t in our favor and it was foggy, so views weren’t wonderful.. but it was nice. We did the walk to the alpine garden, did a small picnic and headed back for the train.

Day 3 – Gruyères Cheese Factory, The Gruyères castle and sunset, the chocolate factory, Maison Cailler, Broc. Both are a must-do with the kids, although they would most likely find the chocolate factory more interesting!! Chocolate vs Cheese.. a no brainer!:) Both tours are really great, for both adults and kids. You get samples given to you at both factories.

Day 4- Golden Pass from Montreux to Interlaken and then another train to our next base, Lauterbrunnen. We booked seat reservations for the Montreux-Zweisimmen leg as the carriages were quite full. This worked well as we saw many people without reservations having to stand the entire distance, even though they had the Swiss Travel Pass.

Once in Lauterbrunnen and after hotel check-ins done, we did the beautiful walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and took the bus back.

Day 5 – This was our big day to Schilthorn. We caught the 8:05 bus from Lauterbrunnen and the next 8:25 cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren. We up at Schilthorn by 9am. They say the early bird catches the worm and it’s true even for the mountains:) The views were fabulous and by 10:30 or so, we could see that it was starting to get foggy. We had brunch at the revolving restaurant. The views were great and also food reasonably priced I would say for that experience. After that we proceed to Birg, my husband “attempted” the Thrill Walk:) It looked safe for kids, although mine didn’t try it. We had the toddler in a carrier. Went back down to Mürren and took the Allmendhubel funicular to the Flower Park. Omg! What a beautiful playground! Even the adults were amazed:) The kids spent a good couple of hours playing here and then we wanted to attempt the Children’s Trail back to Mürren. I had read on a couple of other sites that this was doable with kids and strollers. I don’t know what happened but somewhere down the line, it didn’t seem possible with a stroller and we had to detour and find another way back down. We didn’t even have an internet connection! Luckily we spotted 2 hikers in the far distance and were able to get their help with directions. We finally made our way to cable car base:) Turned out to be a real adventure trail after all!!:) But all in all, it was a great day and we did so much!

Day 6 – Explored Staubbach Falls which was just near our campsite. Beautiful! In the afternoon, we headed to Mannlichen. Took the cable car from Wengen. The journey from Wengen to Mannlichen is only covered 25% on the Swiss Travel Pass. Kids had a blast on the playground, once again.. we soaked in views and then headed back.

Day 7 – Train to Brienz. Then a bus to Geissbach falls. We had a lunch reservation at the Geissbach Falls hotel and then we visited the falls itself. Gorgeous! We then took the 16:07 paddle steamer boat back to Interlaken. It has a kids playroom as well which is awesome. We wanted to do the Brienz Rothorn but decided against it the night before. Ballenberg was also on the cards but we didn’t do it as it seemed like it would have been rushed.

Day 8: Off to Paris via Basel SBB. We booked the TGV from Basel to Paris.

We were blessed with amazing weather overall! I can’t wait to get back to Switzerland…. Thankyou MySwissAlps for making it a memory to be cherished forever!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 19:31:42 #922677

Hi Deshani57,

thank you for sharing your experiences, I am so happy you had a wonderful holiday with your family, and it is also great to read that you’ve found our help useful, we try to support the best we can. 🙂

Yes, kids usually love the chocolate and also the cheese factory near Gruyeres, mines too. 🙂

I hope you’ll come back soon, the Swiss Museum of Transport (http://www.myswissalps.com/mu seumoftransport) in Lucerne is another must-do if you are with kids.

• The thread ‘Montreux and Jungfrau area in 8 days with kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.