Geneva to Interlaken via Golden Pass with luggage

• Maverick
    Participant
    27 posts
    14 October 2018 at 21:28:36 #818690

Hi,

I was trying to outline the plan to follow the golden pass route to reach Interlaken from Geneva using swiss travel pass. I would be grateful for assistance to solve a few queries…

Q1. Can I get reservations from Montreux train station or should it always be ahead of time?

Q2. can i show my STP and board the 2nd class car of golden pass train without reservation and pay while in it? Is that allowed?

Q3. incase i have to do reservations…can i please have a valid link for golden pass reservation?

Q4. As i would have luggage with me..coming straight out of the airport..would it be feasible to store it easily on train ?

Q5. How many times do i have to switch trains if i want to go from Montreux to Interlaken. my biggest worry is to get on board the next connection with the luggage. D o we have to move very fast while switching golden pass trains?

Q6. what would be the cost with STP… is it 50% off or free with STP and just have to pay for reservations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 October 2018 at 22:05:54 #897909

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Just change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. And click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”).

Reservations are really only recommended during peak summer tourist season. The trip is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass so just pick a suitable departure time, hop on and go. Luggage and connections will not be a problem. Normally you just walk from one side of platform to the other.

You will need to change trains at Montreux, Zweisimmen and possibly Spiez. Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 22:46:59 #897910

Number 1 – reservations shouldn’t be required at this time of year outside the peak summer season.

The Swiss travel pass gives unlimited travel on the MOB and BLS railways which are the companies that operate the Montreuz – Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken route.

To reach Montreux from Genève Aéroport, take the regular IR trains. The through trains to Montreux depart Aéroport at xx.02 and xx.20 past each hour (the xx.02 is slightly faster). They take just over 1 hour to reach Montreux.

Use this official timetable PDF to clearly see the Montreux – Interlaken service

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/320.pdf

You will see that services from Montreux every 2 hours require only one change of trains (at Zweisimmen, narrow gauge to standard gauge).

For example:

depart Aéroport at 14.02, arrive Montreux 15.11

Depart Montreux 15.44, arrive Interlaken 18.43 (West) 18.49 (Ost)

Don’t worry about luggage, many of the travellers on this route have their main holiday luggage with them – and don’t worry about the change at Zweisimmen, It is a very normal thing that lots of passengers do, and the staff are used to helping people if required (not with actually carrying luggage but advising you where to go).

• The thread ‘Geneva to Interlaken via Golden Pass with luggage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.