Visiting Mount Pilatus from Basel by train

• maureenkwok
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 January 2018 at 6:19:55 #813982

Will be visiting Mount PIlatus from Basel by train. Please advise the best route and quickest method (including prices if possible) as I have only one day to spare and leaving Basel in the evening. Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 January 2018 at 6:31:49 #873920

Hi Maureen and Welcome to MySwissAlps

You can reach the top of Mt Pilatus in 2h 15 minutes from Basel (that’s with the fastest connections). A round trip will cost you just under CHF150 full fare. The trip involves train, bus, gondola and cable car. Make sure it is a sunny or at least a not too cloudy/rainy/snowing day. I assume you are travelling soon?

If later in the year (towards summer) you can do a very nice round trip including a boat ride and cog-wheel railway. It’s know as the Golden Round Trip. You can read about it here http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

You can uses the Swiss Railway Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to check for yourself to pick the best departure times. The top of Pilatus is Pilatus Kulm.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 January 2018 at 0:37:37 #873921

Hi Maureen-

Rockoyster hinted at it, but timing is important.

When are you traveling?

Slowpoke

maureenkwok
    Participant
    2 posts
    31 January 2018 at 5:41:20 #873922

Many thanks for your reply. I will be travelling in mid June.Please advise where I can buy the round trip ticket to Mount Pilatus from Basel? Do I need to buy it in advance? Thanks for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 January 2018 at 5:56:05 #873923

You won’t need to buy tickets for the trip in advance Maureen.

You can use the SBB timetable link I provided above to buy tickets on-line. But you have to be careful with the VIA stations otherwise you will just end up taking the fastest route rather than the proper round trip.

I think it would be much easier for you to go to a manned ticket office in Basel (maybe the night before your Lucerne excursion if you are in Basel then) and explain to them the route you want to follow and let them sort out the tickets for you.

• The thread ‘Visiting Mount Pilatus from Basel by train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.