How to travel to the Pilatus
The main starting point is the rail station of Lucerne.
Other starting points
You can also start your round trip in the district of Kriens or in the town of Alpnachstad.
- Kriens can be reached by car or by bus from the rail station in Lucerne.
- Alpnachstad can be reached by train, boat or by car. The funicular leaves very close to the rail station and boat dock of Alpnachstad.
A full round trip from Lucerne would consist of the 5 sections mentioned below. Of course the order can be reversed, and sections can be traveled separately.
- Section 1: by train or boat from the rail station in Lucerne to Alpnachstad.
- Section 2: by cogwheel train to the peak of Mount Pilatus.
- Section 3: by cable car down to Fräkmüntegg.
- Section 4: by gondola down to Kriens.
- Section 5: by bus back to the rail station of Lucerne.
Dates of operation
The cable car from Kriens operates during a large part of the year, except for 2 maintenance breaks: from 10 January to 18 February 2022, and from 24 October to 4 November 2022. The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad operates from 26 May to 20 November 2022. Please check again later for further dates.
Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.
Check the timetables. The top station is called 'Pilatus Kulm'. The gondola valley station in Kriens is 'Kriens (Pilatusbahn)' and the nearby bus stop is 'Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus'. The mid-station along the cable car route is 'Fräkmüntegg'. The funicular valley station is called 'Alpnachstad PB'.
Plan your trip