How to travel to the Pilatus
The main starting point is the rail station of Lucerne.
Other starting points
You can also start your round trip in Kriens or Alpnachstad. Kriens can be reached by car or by bus from the rail station in Lucerne. Alpnachstad can be reached by train, boat or by car.
A full round trip from Lucerne would consist of the 5 sections mentioned below. Of course the order can be reversed, and sections can be traveled separately.
- Section 1: by train or boat from the rail station in Lucerne to Alpnachstad;
- Section 2: by cogwheel train to the peak of Mount Pilatus;
- Section 3: by cable car down to Fräkmüntegg;
- Section 4: by gondola down to Kriens;
- Section 5: by bus back to the rail station of Lucerne.
Dates of operation
You can reach Mount Pilatus all year round, but sometimes only one route is operational. The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to the top operates from early or mid May to 14 November 2021. The cableway from Kriens to the top does not operate from 25 October to 5 November 2021. Please check again later for further dates.
Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.