Mountain Train from Nyon to St Cergue

• jalcock
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 March 2011 at 3:06:55 #804172

Hello

We will be staying with our family in Trelex & using the Mountain train to trvel down to Nyon & up to St Cergue, as well as other villages on the line.

If we have a Swiss card can we use this on the mountain train?

Can you please tell me the full price of a ticket from Trelex to Nyon & also Trelex to St Cergue?

I find the forum very helpful. Thankyou

Judy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 March 2011 at 9:38:31 #832346

Hello Judy! Yes, the Swiss Card is valid on the entire line Nyon-Trélex-St. Cergue, so a 50% discount applies here (and if the Swiss Card is used on the first or last day of your stay, during the free inbound or outbound journey, this route is for free as well). You’ll find a link to a synoptic map, showing the exact area of validity, on the Swiss Card page.

A trip from Nyon to Trélex costs CHF 3.00 (full fare, per person and in 2nd class); the leg from Trélex to St. Cergue costs CHF 6.60. For this line, a difference is made between regular tickets with a short validity span of 1 or 2 hours, and day passes that are valid all day long. The prices I mentioned apply to the regular tickets with short validity. Both types of tickets can be bought with the 50% discount that’s granted by your Swiss Card. Prices can be obtained through the Swiss timetable (more information on how to get prices is given in our rail FAQ).

I hope this answers your questions! Best regards,

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    21 March 2011 at 4:31:33 #832347

Hi,
    The Swiss Card acts as a Transfer Ticket on the first and last days. Please correct me if I’m wrong but I understood that nowadays such transfers must be made “by the most direct route”. St Cergue is in the wrong direction from Trelex and free travel would not be applicable between Trelex and St Cergue.
    Andrew

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 March 2011 at 14:54:55 #832348

Hi Andrew and Judy. The Swiss Card acts as a Swiss Transfer Ticket indeed, covering the most direct and/or cheapest inbound route on the first day. This means, Judy, that you can travel from any Swiss town to your destination (Trélex) via Nyon for free on the first day (as the train line via Nyon is the most direct route offered by the Swiss timetable). You are indeed not allowed to make any detours on this first day, e.g. travel to St. Cergue first and then back to Trélex again. On all days in between the first and last day of your stay, a 50% discount applies to the entire line Nyon-St Cergue, in both directions. Is this what you meant, Andrew?

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    21 March 2011 at 17:47:45 #832349

Hi Annika & Judy,

It’s exactly what I meant. I didn’t want Judy (or anyone else) to think that eother the SwissCard or Transfer Ticket allow general free travel on the first and last days as used to be the case up to a few years ago.
    Have a good holiday, Judy.
    Andrew

jalcock
    Participant
    5 posts
    21 March 2011 at 22:12:23 #832350

Thanks Annika & Andrew. I did understand the conditions of use on the first day. I asked about St Cergue because we will go there during our time in Trelex. Thanks for your concern Andrew

Am I correct in assuming we don’t need photos for the Swiss Card? We have never needed them for the Half Fare Card

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 March 2011 at 2:21:37 #832351

Hi Judy,

You can purchase the Swiss Card either online or at Swiss border stations/airports. In either case, no photo is required.

• The thread ‘Mountain Train from Nyon to St Cergue’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.