Mountain View Trail – Grütschalp to Allmendhubel

• tbuff7655436
    Participant
    3 posts
    31 August 2022 at 19:34:46 #828223

I was planning to hiking the Mountain View Trail. It starts at Station Grütschalp and ends in Allmendhubel. Has anyone done it in the reverse direction – from Allmendhubel to Grütschalp? I’m tempted to take it in the reverse direction as there is a descent of about 500m (whereas it’s an ascent from Grütschalp to Allmendhubel). What’s your opinion on this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2022 at 23:20:53 #946281

I don’t think it makes a great deal of difference. It is worth remembering that descending steeply can be harder on the legs than ascending steeply.

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    1 September 2022 at 2:39:28 #946282

Hi! As you walk from Grûtschalp towards Allmendhuble, the spectacular view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau are always in front of you. On a clear day, this is breathtaking!! Of course, walking it in the other direction just means that you have to turn your head a little. It remains a beautiful walk.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2022 at 9:25:28 #946283

Hi tbuff7655436,

We walked from Grütschalp to Mürren, and I do not recall big ascents (we walked with kid, 5-6 years old and it was OK for him). Read more about this route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/gruetschalp-muerren.

The panorama was amazing, for sure. 🙂

Ildiko

MarieD
    Participant
    8 posts
    2 September 2022 at 19:38:12 #946284

It is funny to see this thread because I just walked from Allmendhubel to Grutschalp today! The entire time we stated thank goodness we did not walk this in reverse. It is down hill and steep in parts. It was beautiful. It took us about 1.5 hr.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2022 at 23:34:29 #946285

Yes, but that sounds like the not too steeply graded route paralleling the railway, which is not the Mountain View trail.

Lyssa
    Participant
    7 posts
    5 September 2022 at 6:16:42 #946286

I prefer hiking from Grütschalp to Allmendhubel since the mountains are always in view going this way. Yes, there is a very steep ascent as you begin hiking from Grütschalp, another at the end as you approach the Allmendhubel – but the rest is more gentle ups and downs with some fairly flat stretches, too, including a beautiful meadow full of wildflowers if you’re there in June/early-mid July. Either direction will be well worth the effort!

Anna
    6274 posts
    5 September 2022 at 6:55:38 #946287

Thanks MarieD and Lyssa for your input and beautiful pictures.

Best,

Anna

• The thread ‘Mountain View Trail – Grütschalp to Allmendhubel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.