Train options from Geneva airport to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2018 at 10:43:19 #818846

What is the best way to travel by train from Geneva airport to Grindelwald is it best to get a travel pass and which one ,I will be staying for one week in Grindelwald.

Michael Durow

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2018 at 15:19:01 #898555

Hi Medurow and welcome to MySwissAlps!

By best way I guess you mean fastest? The timetable here will always give you the most direct travel options between towns and mountains. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As for a rail pass, that gets trickier to decide as it depends on the trips you will take during your stay in Grindelwald.

In order to know which Swiss rail pass (if any) will save you money over buying point to point tickets, you’ll need to first decide on your day to day itinerary and then find ticket prices and compare those to rail pass discounts (some trips are fully covered and others partially covered). Read though our instructional page on how to find the best rail pass for your itinerary here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass (we even have a spreadsheet there to help with the math).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2018 at 11:49:06 #898556

Thankful I wish travel up the mountains and see the wonderful views and scenary could you suggest some other places for me to go soul like to go on the wonderful trains into the mountains

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2018 at 16:49:48 #898557

Hi Medurow,

There are a lot of towns, regions and mountains to visit in Switzerland. If you are staying in Grindelwald for the entire trip, and want to explore that region mostly, then have a look at our suggestions for that area here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

For ideas and suggestions all around Switzerland, have a look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

The timetable from my previous post will allow you to find travel times and connections to get between towns and mountains. I hope that helps you find some things to do. There is a lot of great mountain scenery and trains in the Jungfrau region. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2018 at 23:48:03 #898558

You should buy this book:

Switzerland: A Guide to Exploring the Country by Public Transport (Bradt Travel Guide) Paperback – December 1, 2017

by Anthony Lambert (Author)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2018 at 23:57:43 #898559

Standard fastest route from Genève Aéroport to Grindelwald is by main line SBB Inter City train (route IC 1 departing Aeroport at 32 mins past each hour) to Bern, change trains in Bern; then Bern – Interlaken (main line SBB train then Interlaken – Grindelwald (narrow gauge BOB railway train (blue and yellow livery) . You will straight away see some scenic views, especially as the IC1 train climbs away from Lake Geneva towards Bern. The line then runs through very typical Swiss agricultural land on to Fribourg and Bern.

If the air is clear you will start to see the Alps in the distance from the railway in Bern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2018 at 4:17:21 #898560

Thankyou that is very helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 10:36:43 #898561

Hi Lucas I have now sorted an itinery , so it’s train from geneva to grindelwald

1.grindelwald first

2jungfraujoch

3mannlichen

Am thinking of getting the swiss half fare card do you think that is the best option , is there any difference in the price to getting it in the uk before I go or buying it when I get to Switzerland , the same for the trip up to jungfraujoc

Michael durow

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 19:08:12 #898562

Ticket or rail pass prices won’t fluctuate – though rail passes sometimes have promotions, like the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns

For a short trip a Swiss Half Fare Card may be the best option yes, or the 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass

To know for sure, plan out all your travel each day and use our spreadsheet here to compare costs: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 November 2018 at 6:35:03 #898563

Hello 1960man,

I just bought a copy of the book you recommended. For anybody else contemplating buying it, here’s a copy/paste of the synopsis: “This new, thoroughly updated edition of Bradt s guide to Switzerland continues to offer a unique perspective in how to get the most out of this mountainous country travelling only by public transport a timely release with the Gotthard Base Tunnel transforming north south train services. Switzerland is home to the world s finest public transport network and for visitors the Swiss Travel System is a revelation. The comfort, efficiency and frequency of train, bus, boat and cable car services all perfectly dovetailed explain why so many Swiss don t bother to own to car. For visitors, you cannot reach many of the finest sights in the country by road, and there are over a dozen car-free resorts for those who want to experience the peace and clean air of the mountains. For walkers and cyclists, there are superbly maintained and signed networks of paths over 64,000 kilometres of footpaths and many surprisingly unhilly cycle paths beside lakes and rivers. Bradt s Switzerland is unique. No other guide book to Switzerland is organised for those using public transport, which is the easiest, most enjoyable and responsible way to travel. The guide also offers significant depth of coverage as well as a breadth which encompasses culture, architecture, landscapes, walking and cycling, not to mention railway enthusiasts What s more, in a country that is known for being expensive, Bradt s Switzerland suggests a host of money-saving tips that could reduce costs. Also in this new edition, a new section on food and wine, with a listing of the most highly ranked restaurants. Switzerland has far more than its fair share of the world s most beautiful landscapes even commuters into the largest city, Zurich, have a journey worth travelling half way round the world to see. Though mountains and lakes cover most of the country s regions, each offers something quite different and the four official languages add colour and variety to the country s people, architecture and cuisine. Switzerland s cities are among the world s most beautiful and safest. Its capital, Bern, is a World Heritage Site for its 6 kilometres of covered arcades, providing sheltered access to hundreds of independent shops to enthral the most jaded of shoppers. Luzern s lakeside setting is unrivalled, with mountains in every direction and the floodlit city walls providing a breathtaking backdrop to the historic centre. Both Lausanne and Geneva look out over Lac Leman, and Basel is enhanced by a broad sweep of the Rhine. With Bradt s Switzerland: a guide to the country by public transport, you can enjoy all the qualities that help to make Switzerland and its cities constantly ranked as the most liveable in the world.” The book was published less than a year ago and so I am looking forward to seeing if Mr. Lambert makes mention of the Ceneri Base Tunnel.

• The thread ‘Train options from Geneva airport to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.