Travel to Titlis or Pilatus (with time constraint)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2018 at 8:54:38 #818782

Hi,

We have only one night in Lucern – will it be too ambitious to consider either a trip to Mt Pilatus or Mt Titilis – if not, which is more recommended? We do have some time constraint as we will only reach Lucern just before 1pm and with checking into the hotel which is near the train station..we would probably be able to be on our way from 2pm.

Alternatively, we can try to squeeze a trip iearly n the morning

Thanks!

Christine

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2018 at 7:36:00 #898279

Hi Christine,

Pilatus is closer to Luzern so would be a little quicker to get to but technically you could visit either mountain in your time frame.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to find departure times and connections to either mountain: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Both mountains are nice trips and I’m not sure I can tell you which you would prefer. Titlis is quite a bit higher up and has a glacier many people enjoy visiting. Have a read through out pages to find out more about the mountains and which you might prefer to visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2018 at 10:18:48 #898280

Thank you Lucas!

We will be there on 5 Dec.. do you reckon if there is any possibility of snow up in either of the mountains? Haha.. based on historically experience… although I know that nothing is guaranteed ! Because one of my daughters had never experienced snow..

Christine

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2018 at 14:31:11 #898281

Titlis is high enough (3250 meters) that it has snow year round (and a glacier).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2018 at 0:25:49 #898282

Thank u Lucas! Titilis sounds more enticing! As per your previous advice, we Shd check the weather (the day before?) in deciding on the trip up to the moutaims – what should we look out that it would not be a good time? Becos years back, whilst on a tour , we paid an optional atrocious amount to get up Jungfranch (also in Dec) – all we managed was to run from the train stop to the restaurant nearby as it was very heavy snowfall – no views and really freezing ! And it seems that the train actually didn’t even go right to the TOP..

Will there be also snow at Pilates – as a plan B.

thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2018 at 6:32:56 #898283

I’d check the mountain webcams in the morning and see how the views look before going up. Each mountain has their own website with a webcam link. 🙂 if you can’t see anything due to clouds or snow then I’d think twice about heading up -wait to see how the afternoon looks or another day.

• The thread ‘Travel to Titlis or Pilatus (with time constraint)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.