Murren January 2017 for 3 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2016 at 10:29:30 #810448

Hi all,

I am making my first trip to Switzerland next month! I wish to enjoy the beautiful Swiss Alps and hence has decided on going to Murren. I have seen many recommended activities and hikes that I can do that, I am not planning to ski. However, I am very confused with how do I get there. There seems to be various transport modes, like gondola, lifts, trams etc. Hope I can get some elaborations here!

Some background: I am planning to go Murren on 5th Jan and leaving Murren to Lausanne on 8th as I will be working in Lausanne on 9th. No ski-ing, like trekking, not adventurous.

These are the activities/hikes I plan to do.

• Q1: Is Murren a good base?
    • Q2. Is there a travel pass for me to take the various cable cars, lifts, trains etc?
    • Q3. Are any of them not recommended? Anything else I should do?
    • Q4. What kind of attire do I need? I come from a tropical country, so no idea on appropriate footwear and clothing I need. I am planning to wear down jacket, fleece lined pants and normal leather boots.
    • Q5. What kind of backup activity can I do if weather is not good?

Thanks in advance!!!

Top Lifts and Trains

• Schilthornbahn Cable car soaring from Stechelberg in the Lauterbrunnen Valley to the 9,748-foot Schilthorn peak, with Piz Gloria revolving restaurant, James Bond exhibit, and stupendous views. Stops at Gimmelwald, Mürren, and Birg along the way.
    • Jungfraubahn Train running from Kleine Scheidegg station and through tunnel inside Eiger and Mönch mountainsides to 11,333-foot Jungfraujoch saddle, with observation deck, restaurants, tip-top views, and snow activities.

Walks and Hikes

• Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg Easy, mostly downhill ridge hike from cable-car station at Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, with spectacular views of Eiger and more.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 December 2016 at 14:43:12 #857422

Welcome to MySwissAlps Porsal!

Our Murren page explains how to get there and more. Exact schedules are in the timetable.

Q1. There are various villages in the Jungfrau region. Murren is certainly a wonderful place, and with good views.

Q2. The best travel pass depends on all of your travel plans in Switzerland, so you can use it during your entire stay. The Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass may suit you.

Q3. Please see the above links.

Q4. Normal pants and boots won’t work well in snow. It’s fine for sightseeing and traveling, but for hiking you will need water proof hiking shoes and waterproof (ski) pants. Also gloves, sun tan and sun glasses are essential.

Q5. Please also see the linked pages.

• The thread ‘Murren January 2017 for 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.