Mürren to Grutschalp road easy for biking?

• Ray008
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 April 2019 at 15:20:15 #820852

We will be doing some easy biking (not MTB) along Lauterbrunnen Valley this summer. Our starting point will be from Lauterbrunnen train station, stop by Trummelbach Falls and continue our bike journey to Stechelberg. Then we shall take the cable up to Mürren. We won’t plan to do biking in Mürren. Just want to complete our short loop back to Lauterbrunnen. We saw in google map there is a road connecting Mürren Schilthornbahn and Grutschalp. Is this downhill road easy to ride. We are no pro cyclists and be traveling with kids 9 and 12 years old.

Also is there any bike rack for us to lock our bike before we enter the Trummelbach?

Thank you all for your inputs in advance !

Ray

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2019 at 8:20:56 #908765

Hello Ray008 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I am not a biker at all myself and can thus not give lots of personal input, but maybe the following link will be helpful:
    http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /mountainbiking-in-switzerland.html

You can search for the area to find designated biking routes. It seems do-able, but as said, no personal experience I’m sharing here.

Best,
    Steph

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 April 2019 at 11:14:28 #908766

Hi Ray,

It looks like this route is basically what you have planned:

map.schweizmobil.ch/?land=mountainbikeland& lang=en&layers=Bikeweg netz%2CMountainbikelan d&route=450&season=sum mer&bgLayer=pk&logo=ye s&resolution=10&E=2635 002&N=1157973

I’m not a biker either. I’d personally walk, as it can be quite pricey taking up and down the bikes in cable cars just for the sake of completing the loop. I’m don’t know the prices but it’s probably not free.

This might be interesting too: muerren.swiss/en/summe r/see-and-do/activities/bike-arena/.

There is a very easy path from Mürren to Grütschalp, but that’s mainly a walkers path: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren. I don’t think you’re expected to bike there. Only a very small section of the mountain bike route is on this easy path. Alternatively, there’s also a little train you can take.

Ray008
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 April 2019 at 11:43:01 #908767

Thanks Steph and Arno for your valuable input!

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    9 April 2019 at 12:57:42 #908768

Good morning! I had recently contacted the local bike shop w/ a similar question and below was there helpful response:

There is a few mountainbiking trails in the area, but not too many. The area is quite steep, so you should have been riding mountainbikes before.

The easier one, and only one that is paved is on the valley floor from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. You can also ride from Grütschalp to Mürren via Winteregg. The ride up to Allmendhubel is possible but very very steep and you are not allowed to take the bikes on the Allmendhubelbahn. The cable cars up till Mürren will let you take your bike with, for an additional charge.

You can ride from Mürren down to Gimmelwald, the path is paved and it takes about 10 minutes.

The other option, people normally do, is to ride from Mürren down to Lauterbrunnen via Winteregg. Just be aware that it’s a loose gravel road which is pretty steep downhill. I would only recommend you going, if you are an experienced mountainbiker, because it is certainly not easy at all and constantly downhill, no flat areas.

In case you have seen the Rick Steve video/article, it is very misleading and not correct, lots of people getting trapped with it.

The other option would be to rent bikes in Lauterbrunnen, there is a big bike shop there, and you can ride through the valley on the valley floor, which is flat, but very scenic and beautiful, especially in spring with all the waterfalls.

Prices are the same, full day rental for a bike including a helmet is 40,- half a day would be 30,-

Also if you rent down there you don’t need to pay for a cable car ticket for your bike, to bring it back up.

• The thread ‘Mürren to Grutschalp road easy for biking?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.