My trip to Swiss in Jun and your recommendation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2011 at 3:59:32 #804160

Hi there,
    Fyi, we (four adults) plan to visit Lausanne and Zermatt in Jun and leave for Venice afterwards. Pls refer to below itinerary of my plan
    May/29 Take Lyria from Paris to Lausanne (sightseeing 5 hrs in Lausanne)
    Rail from Lausanne Zermatt
    May/30 Stay in Zermatt
    May/31 Leave for Venice, Italy by Cisalpino
    My question is
    1. Is there Euro rail (two contries) passport svc for Swiss and Italy
    2. If I plan to but Swiss Half fare card, do four of us all need to buy or we can simply buy one for four people. Also, is the half fare card applicable to the Cisalpion train to venice.
    3. I will arrive Brig after 1800 and I don’t know if the rail ticket office is still open at 1800. In swiss, can I buy the ticket from Brig to Venice at Lausanne rail station or I can only buy the ticket at Brig rail sation.
    If you have any good recommenation, it will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Brgds,
    Jason

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    14 March 2011 at 15:41:35 #832308

Hello Jason! There’s no combined Eurail pass for both Switzerland and Italy. There are separate passes though, such as the Eurail Italy Pass, and a number rail passes for Switzerland.

A Swiss Half Fare Card would indeed be the best choice for your trips in Switzerland. One Swiss Half Fare Card should be purchased per adult. So four passes have to be ordered if your travel party consists of four adults. If children under 16 travel along with their parents, they can do so for free if you order a free STS Family Card along with your Swiss Half Fare Card.

At the Swiss Half Fare Card page, you’ll find a link to a map showing the exact area of validity. When travelling to Venice, the Swiss leg of the trip up to Domodossola will be covered (meaning: 50% discounted). Separate tickets should be purchased for the remaining part of the trip, unless of course you have a (Eurail) pass allowing you to travel for free in Italy. The timetable will help you search for connections.

Tickets for the trip to Venice can most probably be bought at the Lausanne railway station as well. Opening hours of the Brig railway station can be found on the SBB website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2011 at 21:24:36 #832309

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your detailed advice. If I bought Euro rail Italy Pass and Swiss Half fare card, on my way from Brig to Venice, I plan to take Cisalpino (direct train). How do i chop my eurorail Italy Pass on Cisalpino? As far as i know, I need to chop my eurorail before stating to use it, right?

Jason

Annika
    7121 posts
    15 March 2011 at 1:26:03 #832310

Hi Jason,

You need to have a valid ticket or pass when you board the train. You cannot purchase it on board. Eurail passes should be purchased online in advance. They are being sold in Europe from a few places only (I don’t know where exactly) and prices are about 20% higher there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2011 at 8:39:54 #832311

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your advice. I will purchase the Italy Eurail pass in advacne but my question is that can i validate my Italy Eurail pass at Brig rail station or i need to validate in the boarder of Italy if i take Cisalpino from Brig to Venice.

Jason

Annika
    7121 posts
    16 March 2011 at 14:46:21 #832312

Hi Jason,

I know that Swiss rail passes can be validated at any manned Swiss station or on board of international trains bound for Switzerland. I assume you can validate an Italian rail pass on board of the international train bound for Italy. But I would recommend to ask for validation at the station where you board that train (Brig), and have on board validation as your backup option.

• The thread ‘My trip to Swiss in Jun and your recommendation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.