Cost and benefits of the Diemtigtal NaturparkCard

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 21:31:22 #814954

Hello My Swiss Alps!

I am planning a trip to Switzerland in September with my husband and 2yr old son. I have found somewhere to stay at a farm stay in Oey Diemtigtal. We are hoping to travel by rail bus rather than hiring a car.

On the accomodation information it says about a naturpark card for the region which gives some discounts on travel etc. I was just wondering if you could give any more information on how much this costs and is it something you have to have? Should I still look into a travel pass for travelling around? We would loke to do some boat trips and travel up to the mountains for day trip but obviously with toddler you cannot make too many plans! Many Thanks in advance. Helen.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 1:27:08 #879801

Hi Helen, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I have found somewhere to stay at a farm stay in Oey Diemtigtal. We are hoping to travel by rail bus rather than hiring a car.

Have you checked out how close your accommodation is to transport? It would also be a good idea to check what time the first and last services of the day run, and the hours and frequency of weekend services (if you haven’t already done so).

>> On the accomodation information it says about a naturpark card for the region which gives some discounts on travel etc.

Information about what it covers is here:

diemtigtal.ch/index.ph p?page=2630

>> I was just wondering if you could give any more information on how much this costs

It is free from your accommodation provider if you are staying at least one night in the Diemtigtal.

>> Should I still look into a travel pass for travelling around?

Probably, as only limited things are covered by the card, and some of the discounts are fairly small.

There is only one way to know for sure: add up the full-fare cost of all trips you intend to do by train, bus, cable car and boat, adjust the cost of anything covered by the NaturparkCard and compare the total cost of separate tickets with the cost of doing the same trips with the Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card etc.

You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travelcard which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 17:52:27 #879802

Thank you for the great advice that is great.

It says that it gives discount on the Post bus in the region- is this one of the train operators? I’ve looked at the timetable and I’m guessing there are more than one operator going through the station.

Thanks again, Helen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 18:52:15 #879803

Hi Helen,

PostBus Switzerland provides regional and rural bus services throughout Switzerland. It’s a bus, not a train.

• The thread ‘Cost and benefits of the Diemtigtal NaturparkCard’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.