Need advice for my Jungfrau region trip planning

• kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    31 March 2016 at 13:46:29 #808772

Hi,

This is my plan for visiting Jungfrau. I appreciate if there’s any feedback/suggestion/advice.

Using Swiss Travel Pass to get to Grindelwald. Take a cable car from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg (15CHF after 50% discount). I hope to view the tree peaks Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau from Kleine Scheidegg. Then, hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen for 90 minutes. Lastly, take a cable car from Mannlichen to Wengen (11CHF after 50% discount).

I am taking two elderly and a kid and therefore going to Jungfraujoch may not be a good idea. Not only because we are on budget, but also the cold. However, we hope to enjoy the scenes as much as we can.

Any feedback/advice for this planning?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 March 2016 at 23:56:33 #850124

Hi kargee –

Looks like you have been doing some good planning. Plus, you have recognized that the fares in the timetable, at first glance, are discounted half fares.

However, the route from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg is a cograilway. Cable cars go to Männlichen.

Others may not agree, but I very very strongly prefer the easier downhill walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. That gives you spectacular views of those three peaks ( without having to constantly twist your neck when you turn round to look).

The psychological effect of approaching the Eiger is an important part of that direction for the walk.

All of that is meaningless if the trails are closed due to snow, through late May and early June.

When are you going?

Slowpoke

kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    1 April 2016 at 2:56:39 #850125

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, it’s a cograilway from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg.

Do you mean to say the downhill walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen? From the map, Kleine Scheidegg is higher than Mannlichen.

I am going in late July for about a week. Is there any good website to check for the weather? I may need to keep monitoring while am there.

Do you mind to elaborate more about the psychological effect of approaching the Eiger? What do you mean?

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 April 2016 at 7:37:27 #850126

Hi Kargee-

<<“Do you mean to say the downhill walk from Kleine Scheidegg to

Mannlichen? From the map, Kleine Scheidegg is higher than Mannlichen.”>>

Check this link to the best topo map of Switzerland :

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs. gebaeude_wohnungs_regi ster,ch.bafu.wrz-wildruhezonen_portal,c h.swisstopo.swisstlm3d -wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false,fal se,false&layers_timest amp=18641231,,,&X=1616 60.00&Y=638630.00&zoom =6

The SwissTopo site is the website of the Federation’s Land Office.

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch /internet/swisstopo/en /home.html

Männlichen is at 2229 meters, Männlichen Gipfel at 2343, and Kleine Scheidegg at 2061. All units in M.ü.M. ( Meter über Meer, meters above sea level).

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg.

That description is slightly confusing because it gives the total elevation change, but is not clear in the first information about which direction is downhill.

<<“Do you mind to elaborate more about the psychological effect of approaching the Eiger? What do you mean? “>>

Die Eiger-Nordwand (the north face of the Eiger) is a dramatic, overpowering, some say oppressive, and well known sight.

In German, at least in Switzerland, die Eiger means “the ogre.” See attached images. As one approaches it from Männlichen along that trail ( sometimes nicknamed The Grannies’ Walk because it is so easy) , the Eiger grows higher and higher, fills the view, and towers over you. There are many viewpoints along the way, but at some there are benches facing the Eiger. Many people sit there for a long time just looking at the Eiger.

Photographs do not give the full impression, but I have attached a few to show the nature of the sights.

Although I am not a devotee of Rick Steve’s books, he got that one right when he writes to walk that trail toward the Eiger.

<<“I am going in late July for about a week.”>>

Apart from the significant number of hikers on the trail, that is a good time to go. In May, that trail is still covered with snow and cannot be hiked unless the the snow has melted away late in the month.

<<“Is there any good website to check for the weather? I may need to keep monitoring while am there.”>>

Please see my comments on March 30th in this thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/first-time-trip-to-europe-seeking-advice

Also:

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

and,

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Hope that helps,

Slowpoke

kargee
    Participant
    25 posts
    1 April 2016 at 9:20:09 #850127

Thanks so much Slowpoke for your detailed and thorough explanation with helpful sites. Now I have a better idea.

• The thread ‘Need advice for my Jungfrau region trip planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.