Need help figuring out train passes, please!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 1:54:22 #808405

I would very much appreciate some help figuring out what is the best and most economical way to do the following:

Go from Paris to Zermatt in early April (hypothetically April 3)

Stay in Zermatt 1 full day and leave the next day (hypothetically April 5):

Take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz

Stay in St. Moritz 1 full day and leave the next day (hypothetically April 7) and go to Milan.

I’m confused as to which pass I need to purchase to get the best deal. Do I need to purchase the half fare or the flex pass or the flex half fare combo? Will I only get the discounts on the trains that are running strictly in Switzerland or will I get a discount on the entire trip from Paris to Zermatt and also St. Moritz to Milan? Finally, are there any modes of transportation you recommend in St. Moritz or Zermatt (gondolas? etc.)? And if so, can any of the passes be used for those?

Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can offer!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:36:42 #848377

Hi EuroTravel, thanks for joining us!

I think there are two options to consider:

• a Swiss Half Fare Card, that allows a 50% discount on all trips within Switzerland. Please find details at our Swiss Half Fare Card page. You can study a validity map, compare prices and resellers there, etc;
    • a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass for April 3, 4, 5 and 6, plus a regular ticket for the Swiss leg St. Moritz-Tirano (at the border) on April 7. St. Moritz-Tirano is a rather short and inexpensive ride. During April 3-6, all trips by regular trains and buses are for free. Mountain trips will be discounted. Validity overviews, resellers and further details are at our Swiss Travel Pass page.

Which option is best, should be calculated based on a detailed list of plans, including trips made on April 4 and 6. Help is provided at our "How to choose" page.

As you’ll see, both passes only cover Switzerland, not the connecting legs from Paris and to Milan. Please refer to our Zermatt and St. Moritz pages for tips on day trips. Most mountain near Zermatt are discounted with either pass; in the St. Moritz region, some are discounted, others aren’t. Studying the validy maps will help you out here.

Does that get you started?

• The thread ‘Need help figuring out train passes, please!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.