Need help finalizing Itinerary and Rail Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2011 at 16:05:19 #804492

First of all – thanks for creating an awesome forum to help many of us new Swiss travellers!

Me and my wife are going to be in Switzerland for a total of 6 days beginning September 14th through September 20th. We love nature, want to enjoy hiking/biking and basically are looking for a nice romantic holiday; We arent too big on cities/museums and would want to devote time seeing nature’s work.

Here is the proposed itinerary..

Sept 14 – Arrive in Basel via night train from Amsterdam; Head over to Luzern and then take a Golden Round trip to Pilatus before leaving for Murren using the Golden Pass rail; Overnight in Murren
    Sept 15 – Explore BO area; Trip to Schilthorn and hikes in and around the area; Possibly bike around as well; Overnight in Murren
    Sept 16 – Explore the BO area; Trip to Jungfraujoch and back; Head over to Lauterbrunnen; Visit the Trümmelbach falls; Possibly head down the valley to Interlaken if time permits; Overnight in Murren
    Sept 17 – [Unsure about what other things to do – PLEASE SUGGEST]
    Sept 18 – Take the Golden Pass rail (via Gstaad) and head on over to Montreux; Visit the Chateau de Chillon and explore the town; Possibly take the Chocolate train through the valley and back; Spend night in Montreux?
    Sept 19 – Head on over to Lausanne and later on to Geneva; Spend night in Geneva
    Sept 20 – Head back home on an early morning flight

My questions :
    > What Swiss pass would you recommend? Also, if me and my wife are always travelling together everywhere, will we each need a pass if we get say, the Swiss Saver? Notice that we are in Switzerland for 6 days

> Would you recommend heading over to Zermatt with the spare day we have (Sept 17) or should we enjoy more sightseeing in the BO?

Please feel free to recommend – we are definitely wanting to adjust our plans accordingly.

Thanks!
    Amit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    20 July 2011 at 6:01:14 #833510

Hi Amit, and welcome! That’s a pretty full schedule, although most of your plans are possible. I don’t think you’ll manage to do both the Golden Pass and Chocolate Train trip on 1 day (Sept 18) though. The timetable helps you to check traveling times and find out what’s reasonable for one day. As for September 17: in my opinion, it would be a bit too much to travel to Zermatt and back again, unless you don’t mind a long train journey. Instead, there’s so much to see and do in the Bernese Oberland. This day trip overview provides examples.

A 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be a good option, using your 3 free travel days for September 14, September 18 and September 19, and discounts on the remaining days. If you do want to visit Zermatt, consider a 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and use another free travel day for your trip to Zermatt and back.

Does this help you decide? Kind regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2011 at 9:31:21 #833511

Arno,
    Thanks for your reply.

Do I need to buy one 3-day Swiss Saver flexi pass for myself AND my wife (so a total of 2) or should I buy only one pass that will accommodate both me and my wife on the same ticket? I am a little confused here.

I agree that I will not be able to do the Chocolate train on the same day – I will however follow the same route that the train does and goto Gruyere and Broc-Fabrique on that day.

I also agree with you that I could perhaps spend more time in the BO area and have more fun there as opposed to a day’s worth of travel to Zermatt and back.

Your recommendations are spot-on – thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2011 at 9:55:18 #833512

Hi Amit,

You need to order a pass for 2 adults. You will receive one pass that is valid for the both of you. It is self explaining once you start ordering.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Need help finalizing Itinerary and Rail Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.