Need help for Milan to Switzerland 3 days trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2013 at 17:19:37 #805775

I am coming to Milan week of Feb 18th. I am onholiday from Thursday Feb 21 until Sunday, Feb 24th. I return back to US from Zurich on Feb 24th by 1 pm flight.
    Can you help putting together best itinerary (including places to see, night halt etc) in Switzerland starting from morning ofThursday 21st from Milan, Italy and ending in Zurich on Sunday , Feb 24tharound 11 am.
    I know I want to see Alps and take Bernina Express but other than that I am open to anything you suggest I should be doing/seeing in 3 days .
    Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    3 February 2013 at 8:56:36 #837991

Welcome ramram. You can enter Switzerland via Tirano, taking the Bernina Express to St. Moritz. That’s a stunning region, especially in winter, so I’d stay there at least one or two days if I were you. You can continue your journey to Chur, which is also a beautiful scenic train route, and Zurich. You may want to spend a day in Zurich too. All trips can be planned using the timetable. Hotels near the railway station of St. Moritz are listed here; Zurich town centre hotels are listed here and hotels near Zurich airport can be found here. If you plan to use public transportation only, it’s economical to purchase a rail pass. A 4 day Swiss Pass might be ideal in your case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2013 at 13:11:55 #837992

Thanks. This was very helpful. Do you advice i buy 4 day swiss pass in advance or can i buy when in Milan or from Tirano on Feb 21st? Can i buy this from milan central station?

Also i understand for Bernina express i need reservation . Again should i do it now or can i do reservation at the same time i buy my swiss pass on feb 21st

Based on your recommendation this is the itinerary i was thinking

Thursday, Feb 21st . Take train morning from milan to tirano. Than take bernina express from tirano to st.mortiz. Overnight stay on 21st at st. Mortiz.

Friday-, feb 22nd. leave st. mortiz for chur- can i take glacier express ton way to chur or just take bernina express. Not sure if there is enough sightseeing to do so to spend a day in chur. Do you have any recommendation as to which other place i can see on feb 22nd before i reach zurich

Reach by night time to zurich on feb 22

Saturday. Feb 23- spend a day in zurich. Do you have any recommendation on where i can go and what should i see- should i take a organized day tour from a tour company? Any recommendation ?

Sunday- feb 24- fly back home.

Thanks

Annika
    7115 posts
    3 February 2013 at 14:38:39 #837993

Hi ramram! I think that’s a fine itinerary. On February 22, I’d actually spend the morning in or near St. Moritz as sightseeing options there are great, and then continue to Zurich with only a short stop (or no stop at all) in Chur. This overview may help you out. In Zurich, you may visit the National Museum, stroll though the old town centre, visit the lake, take a boat trip, get to viewing point Uetliberg, and so on.

Looking at your current plans, a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass is actually too much, especially if you plan to stay in Zurich on February 23, not making any side trips. Instead, you can buy regular tickets Tirano-St. Moritz and St. Moritz-Chur-Zurich. For your last day in Zurich, a Zurich Card may be economical. That’s for sale at the railway station of Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2013 at 17:36:12 #837994

Thang again. So for Bernina express, can i just buy ticket and reservation on feb 21 at Tirano.

Can i also do Glacier express on 23rd from st. mortiz and than take a train in the evening to Zurich?

Also when is the last train on 23rd from st. Moritz to Zurich?

Thanks

Arno
    15479 posts
    4 February 2013 at 1:19:05 #837995

Hello ramram,

The train can be fully booked, so you’d better buy in advance to make sure you have the Bernina Express seats. You can buy through the links on this page, or post your country of residence so that I can give you the link.

Sure you can do the Glacier Express. It does not make a difference though if you travel via Chur: it’s the same route as any other train but you will have to pay for the surcharge. If you want a longer stretch of the Glacier Express, e.g. deboard in Brig or Visp and then go to Zurich, it will be a very long day but it’s doable. In that case, you best look into a rail pass (e.g. a 3-day Swiss Flexi Pass) to save money as this is a much longer and more expensive trip.

Please see the timetable for all train services.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2013 at 15:04:02 #837996

Thanks a lot. I live in USA. Send me link for Bernina express ticket booking and reservation web site and i will book.
    Should just book one ticket and reservation from tirano to st.mortiz. For feb 21st

How do i go from st mortiz to Zurich on feb 22nd?

Thanks again.

Arno
    15479 posts
    5 February 2013 at 0:44:30 #837997

Hi,

In that case you can book the Bernina Express from here and any other train ticket from here. The ticket from St. Moritz to Zurich does not require seat reservations but you may want to order it along with the other ticket, so you’re all set. Please note that you need to fill out “St Moritz”, without a dot after St.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2013 at 2:11:49 #837998

Thanks. I did buy my Bernina express train ticket and reservation for 21st Feb from tirano to st. Moritz leaving Tirano at 14.33 hours. I bought from
    Rhaetian Railway web site.

Now i need to buy train ticket from milan to tirano on 21st morning. Are there frequent trains leaving Milan for tirano in the morning time and can i just buy the ticket at Milan station on 21st itself?

Also from st.moritz to zurich, are there trains running frequently during the day and can i just buy the ticket at the station on feb 22nd. Do you have any advice on which train i should take from st. Mortiz to zurich?

Thanks a lot for your help

Arno
    15479 posts
    5 February 2013 at 2:49:53 #837999

Hi ramram,

Please take a look at the timetable for all train services (see our previous posts). Just pick a train that suits you timewise. Most of them don’t require reservations as explained here. In such a case you can buy your ticket locally, or online if you want to arrange for everything beforehand.

• The thread ‘Need help for Milan to Switzerland 3 days trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.