Need help with various train passes/cards

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 3:06:53 #808310

My wife and I are taking our twin 15 year olds to Switzerland in 3 weeks. We will be taking 3 train trips over 4 days.

Zurich Airport-Bad Ragaz

Bad Ragaz – Basel

Basel -Zurich Airport

I have read that if my wife and I buy 1/2 price cards for $120 CHF each we can get a free family card that allows the children to travel with us for free. Is this the least expensive way for us to travel? If so, do the kids need train tickets or do we just show the family card? Any advice is most appreciated..

Thanks in Advance,

AW

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 January 2016 at 15:50:18 #847909

Welcome AW!

If this is actually all the traveling (so no cable cars, boat trips, etc.), then a Swiss Half Fare Card will not save you money (see here for how to verify). I’d recommend regular tickets for the adults and two Junior travelcards for the twins. These cards are available online, but only combined with other rail passes. Separate ones can be purchased from staffed rail stations in Switzerland.

An additional way to save some money is Supersaver tickets for the adults, but beware of their limitations (fixed departure times, no refunds).

I hope this was useful. Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2016 at 17:15:44 #847910

Arno,

Thank you so much for your reply. Supersaver tickets do appear to be best at least for the last two legs. I don’t want to depend on the Airlines to insure we make the 1st leg. If we get the Junior travelcards do the children need proper tickets as well or is their travelcard enough.

Thanks again,

AW

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 January 2016 at 17:45:50 #847911

Hi AW,

Glad to help! The children don’t need tickets. Just the Junior travelcards and tickets for the adults are sufficient.

• The thread ‘Need help with various train passes/cards’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.