Train options from Basel airport to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 17:13:01 #814768

Hi,

I’ll travel by air to Basel Mulhouse Freiburg on March 22, arrive around 10 AM.

I think I was missed information. Previously, I thought the trip from Basel Airport to Interlaken Ost will be 1,5 hour by SBB, BUT I’ve just read detailed info that it needs another 1,5 hours by train from Basel Airport to Basel SBB station then another 1,5 hours from Basel SBB to Interlaken OST 🙁

Could you please help:

– Is there another way to get to Interlaken Ost faster & more efficient (public transport)

– can I buy the ticket before the day? If I can, could you please share the link

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 18:44:14 #878805

Hi Mells888 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From Basel airport, it will take about 2 hours and 20 minutes by train. This would be the quickest option for you. It will be about 15 minutes on a bus to Basel SBB train station and then a direct train to Interlaken from there.

The SBB timetable will give you the exact details on options for your date of travel.

Are you just buying point to point tickets to get around? If you are in Switzerland for more than a few days I would look at a rail pass to save money. You can certainly just buy a ticket at Basel airport for the trip if you like. Tickets don’t sell out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 4:09:55 #878806

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your fast reply!

I’ll stay 5 nights in Switzerland.

Will spend 3 nights in Interlaken. Our plan is to visit Jungfraujoch via Lauternbrunnen & Kl Sheidegg, back to Interlaken via Grindelwald. Have a look to Murren, boat trip to Thun & Brienz lake (wish I could have much time).

Then I’ll leave Switzerland from Zurich. Will stay 2 nights in Zurich & walking tour around old town and the river.

– Do you think using rail pass is the best choice for my itinnerary?

– Far before I know about rail pass, I already book point to point train from Interlaken to Zurich (Not sure the name, I think it’s ICE Bru-Liege or The Trainline. It said it not valid in Thalys). Is it the same train if I use rail pass? Or this is different train (maybe faster one). If this is the same train, maybe I will cancel this ticket & use rail pass. How do you think?

– Will rail pass also cover the bus from Basel airport to Basel SBB train station?

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Regards,

Mell

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 17:00:44 #878807

Hi Mell,

To know if a rail pass is your best option you need to plan out all your trips and do the math to compare. Our page here will help you with that: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

You can take any train on the route that you want.If the rail pass you buy covers the route between Zurich and Interlaken (like for example the Swiss Travel Pass) then you can take any train on that route that you want.

Use the SBB timetable to plan your routes.

Some rail passes will cover Basel airport to Basel train station yes. The Swiss Travel Pass, for example, covers that route. You can see a PDF map of what routes the pass covers here.

• The thread ‘Train options from Basel airport to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.