NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR 2 1/2 DAYS VISIT

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2012 at 8:12:22 #805119

Hi, we are a family of four (two teens aged 12 &14), we will be arriving in basel from paris by tgv in the afternoon of may 8 and will be leaving on may 10 at 12 noon also from basel. I have booked a hotel in lucerne. Do you have suggestions on what places we can visit on may 8 (half day tour), will the time be enough to visit mount titlis on may 8 and maybe jungfraujoch on may 9? Will it be wise to get a family swiss pass for our short stay?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    11 April 2012 at 11:18:11 #835574

Hello lloyd,

After you arrive in Basel in the afternoon of May 8, you have to count with another 1 hour 15 min. or so, to reach Lucerne. So, maybe there’s not enough time left for a longer trip, like visiting Mount Titlis.
    You can check all information about departures, traveling times, where to change trains and prices through the Swiss Timetable. Maybe you’ll have time enough to visit Mount Rigi instead? Lucerne is a beautiful city and it would be a pity if you don’t visit the Chapel Bridge near the main railway station.
    Please note there’s a Lucerne page at this website.

I suggest that you visit Jungfraujoch on May 9, if weather conditions are good. Traveling times included, it will take you most part of the day.

If, on the other hand, you decide to visit Mount Titlis that day, you could combine it with Mount Pilatus.

In most cases it pays off to purchase one of the Swiss Rail Passes. Maybe the best option is to order (only online available) the 2 for 1 offer of the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass, but you can also check the Half Fare Card. It depends on your final itinerary and you’ll have to do some calculations for yourself, to find out which will be the better choice.

I hope this helps and I wish you a very nice stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2012 at 4:25:53 #835575

For a first time visitor to switzerland, which would you suggest we visit on the only whole day that we have (may 9) if the weather permits, Jungfraujoch or the combination of Mount Titlis and Mount Pilatus? Will follow your advice and spend our time in Lucerne on the day we arrive. Thank you Wandermann.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    12 April 2012 at 5:06:59 #835576

Hello lloyd,

If you are a first time visitor I definitely suggest visiting Jungfraujoch on May 9! It will be a memorable experience (for your children as well).

I want to add something to my previous post: if you decide to order one of the passes I mentioned, take care to order The STS Family Card at the same time. This Family Card doesn’t cost you anything, and your children will travel for free.

I hope you’ll have beautiful weather.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2012 at 7:41:53 #835577

Greetings Wanderman,
    followed your advice, bought 2 in 1 promo and got the sts so my kids go for free, i just hope that i receive the swiss pass before may 5 here in manila. another query, the main reason that we decided to visit switzerland is that my kids would like to experience playing in real snow, where can we go to have actual snow experience.

lloyd

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    15 April 2012 at 8:30:48 #835578

Hello lloyd,

If you follow Wandermann’s tip to visit Jungfraujoch, your children will defenitely get the chance to walk through/play in snow. Watching webcams may be of help too, if you want to see other mountain tops. And if you can, check the weather forecastst right before you leave. In that case you will be pretty sure of snow where and when.

Have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2012 at 19:44:04 #835579

Thank you so much Wandermann and Olga.

lloyd

• The thread ‘NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR 2 1/2 DAYS VISIT’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.