Need to know how the Swiss Travel Pass Flex works

• Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 April 2016 at 13:56:23 #808849

Hi guys,

I am travelling to Switzerland for 5 days from England. I have got a lot of questions to ask, if anyone could help me out.

First thing is how exactly does the swiss travel pass flexi work. I mean say for instance I will be travelling on trains all 5 days plus I would be wanting to use the 50% off (cog railways, cable cars, etc.,) too on 2 mountains. What day pass should I be buying. A 5 day pass or an 8 one, because I don’t think you can get a 7 day pass.

I will be landing in geneva on 02 May. I will be in switzerland till 07 May. I have booked my flight tickets. What should be on top of my list as first priority. I just love mountain scenery and snowclad mountains.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 April 2016 at 14:10:46 #850519

Hi Shehzad,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! It looks like you haven’t found our pass pages yet. Please read the below pages as they explain all about how the passes work, what’s included, where to buy and how to pick the best pass:

Let us know if any questions remain after going through the above information.

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 April 2016 at 18:14:48 #850520

Hi, Thanks for the Reply.

I am still a bit confused. The day I choose as my travel day, on that same day could I use my swiss travel pass flex for discounts on the mountain cable cars OR cog railways too.

Plus shortly I will post where I will be going and staying if its do-able or not in the 5 days I’m over there in swirtzerland. And plus some advice where to stay for the diff locations I want to go and see if my one’s are not suitable.

Many Thanks.

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 April 2016 at 18:34:33 #850521

Hello Shehzad,

You will get those discounts on free travel days as well.

Sure, feel free to post your plans. Once you’re sure about the towns you’d like to stay in, you can post in the Accommodation forum for help with finding a hotel. Please also see the hotel section of our town pages for suggestions.

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    8 April 2016 at 19:02:11 #850522

Hi,

Ok. Thanks alot for clearing that out. My only other problem is if a Swiss Travel pass flex does all this why would one want a half/fare pass too. I mean the swiss travel pass flex combi. What does the half/fare card do extra that is not covered by the swiss travel pass flex in the first place.

Please explain.

So that I can either go ahead and buy either the Swiss travel pass flex or the combi.

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 April 2016 at 19:17:24 #850523

The “Combi” gets you discounts on trains, mountain trips, etc, even if you don’t use a free travel day. So you don’t depend on the free travel days only.

Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/pric e for where to get your pass.

Enjoy your trips!

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    9 April 2016 at 2:10:05 #850524

Hi, To finish off my planning , could you tell me if from 02may – 07may is the cogwheel train available to go to top of mt Rigi & mt. Pilatus. If not what are other means to go up, because I heard one of those destination’s cogwheel train is only operational from mid may.

Please Advise.

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    9 April 2016 at 3:46:37 #850525

Hi,

Plus if you could also let me know which out of Mt rigi cogwheel rail OR the Mt Pilatus cogwheel rail is not operational on my dates. Them being 02-07 May. So that I can decide on which one to go for.

Many Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 April 2016 at 6:45:20 #850526

Hi Shehzad,

The Mount Rigi trains will operate. The Pilatus cogwheel train will start operating early to mid May, depending on the weather, so you’ll have to check when you’re there. In any case there’s the cable car from Kriens to go up. Schedules are in the timetable.

Shehzad
    Participant
    9 posts
    9 April 2016 at 19:51:18 #850527

Hi, Arno thanks. That was helpful indeed.

Will I be able to do the “Golden Round Trip Pilatus” on the 04th of May 2016 or is it going to be too early for it.

Plus if it is functional is it do-able in half a day as I’m leaving in the evening to be at St Moritz.

As I’m catching the Glacier Express on the 05th May at 09:57 to Zermatt.

Please Advise me.

Kind Regards.

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 April 2016 at 7:35:25 #850528

Hi Shehzad!

As Arno mentioned, it can’t be predicted yet whether or not the cogwheel train is operating during your stay. That will determine whether or not you can make the Golden Round Trip. You’ll have to wait until you’re there to find out. If it’s available, then yes, you will be able to complete this trip within half a day.

• The thread ‘Need to know how the Swiss Travel Pass Flex works’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.