Nov 18 travelling to Switzerland for 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 1:19:29 #815709

Dear All

this is my very first interaction through this forum and never been to Swiss country before..we are a family of three myself age 50; my wife 47 and daughter crossing 16 by 10th Oct 18….my 5 days stay thinking to be in and around Lucern area and I zeroed on so far winter tell pass. Or which pass the best or combination ?…coming through Paris either by flight or by train by 20th Nov….mt pitalis cable car open by 22nd Nov….

can anybody suggest how to proceeds and what to see and any other way best way iternary be made…I don’t have much idea about places as only first time visit will be…

Thanks in anticipation…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 19:02:29 #884092

Hi Hansaria and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t create itineraries here, but can guide you on where to go once you let us know your interests.

You can travel to Mt. Pilatus by cogwheel train if the cable car is closed for maintenance (or vice-versa).

For ideas on what to do in Switzerland click here.

For help choosing the best rail pass look here. You have to plan out all your trips here first and then do the math to compare costs. The Tell Pass – Winter is a good choice if you are staying around Lucerne the entire trip. Otherwise perhaps the Swiss Travel Pass is a good option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 1:12:14 #884093

Hi hansaria,

You will be a bit late for some mountain transport, which ceases operations for the winter, or for maintenance, after 18 November 2018. This includes:

• Funicular Schwyz to Stoos
    • Funicular and cable car to the Stanserhorn
    • Cogwheel train Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm (but you can still get up and back, as Lucas mentioned, on the cableway from Kriens)

However, the following mountain transport will be operating during your visit:

• Cableway Kriens to Pilatus Kulm (as mentioned above)
    • All modes of transport to the Rigi
    • Gondola to Titlis

Boats will also be operating on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne), but to a limited winter timetable, which you can find here:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

If you get the Tell-Pass Winter, you will need one each for yourself, your wife and your daughter (as she will be already aged 16 at the time of your trip).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 7:41:16 #884094

Hi Alpenrose,

You mention that the Funicular Schwyz to Stoos is closed after Nov 18th, do you know for how long? is this only for a week or two, or the whole of winter. We are returning to Switzerland again this year in December and had hoped to do this as an excursion from Luzern.

Regards

Longservice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 14:51:26 #884095

Hi Longservice,

It is easiest to check with the timetable. Search fro Schwyz Stoosbahn to Stoos. Normally it is one funicular ride but in some dates it is a bus and cable car from Morschach.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 23:27:15 #884096

Thank You Lucas,

However the timetable only extends to 8/12/2018 and not yet beyond. The date we would want to do this excursion would be around 13th Dec to 15th December 2018. This is why I was curious to know if Alpenrose somehow knew a little more than what I was able to glean from the timetable. He mentions that the funicular will be closed after Nov 18th, so I thought maybe he has gleaned that information from another source that may also have information regarding a re-opening date.?

Kind Regards

Longservice.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 May 2018 at 23:36:53 #884097

The Stoos Funicular resumes winter service Saturday 8 December.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2018 at 0:53:35 #884098

<<“again this year in December “>>

Dates?

Ooops. Just read your post again.

Rockoyster, with his usual precision, has given you the answer.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 11:04:07 #884099

Hi Rockoyster,

Many thanks for the winter start date…. This will work well for us later this year. And thank you also to Lucas, it was as a result of your trip report to Stoos a while back that made me decide that this will be a trip well worth the effort.

Kind Regards

Longservice.

• The thread ‘Nov 18 travelling to Switzerland for 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.