Old photos taken in Switzerland

• Malachy
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 July 2022 at 10:38:20 #827783

No one alive knows the precise location where these photographs were taken, very soon after the end of WW2.

The lady is my Grandfather’s sister and her son. A tall order We were hoping that one of your experts might be able to identify the location, in detail if at all possible.

Our family in that generation are known to have visited Davos, also Flims and there are Swiss\US emigration cards from Braunwald, Glarus around the time the photos were taken. Hopefully someone will know the location.Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    16 July 2022 at 14:00:33 #944363

Hi Malachy,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s hard to tell from these pictures the exact location they were taken from. But perhaps someone might recognise the backdrop and be able to provide some information.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2022 at 1:00:06 #944364

I think it might be at the summit of Schynige Platte. The narrow valley behind looks a bit like the Lauterbrunnen valley

Malachy
    Participant
    2 posts
    17 July 2022 at 1:13:25 #944365

Thank you so much. I will have a good look at the location in Google Earth. Kind regards

• The thread ‘Old photos taken in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.