About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 10 days in Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt in Dec-Jan
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

10 days in Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt in Dec-Jan

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Shang
Shang
3 posts
Nov 24, 2021 - 4:50 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm Shang from Malaysia. I'm planning to travel to Switzerland on 30th Dec 2021 - 8th Jan 2022. I would like some opinions on my itinerary. Your help are much appreciated!

Day 1: Reach Zurich at noon time, travel around Zurich, stay in Zurich.

Day 2: Check in Lucerne, travel in Lucerne town, stay in Lucerne.

Day 3: Travel to Mt Rigi OR Mt Tiltis OR Mt Pilatus, stay in Lucerne

Day 4: Take Golden Pass rail from Lucerne to Interlaken, Stay in Grindelwald.

Day 5: Jungfraujoch

Day 6: First mountain, leave Grindelwald and take Glacier Express rail from Grindelwald to Zermatt (transfer at Brig station), reach Zermatt at 5.10pm.

Day 7: Zermatt Peak 2 Peak Pass : Matterhorn glacier paradise and Gornergrat

Day 8: Zermatt

Day 9: Leave Zermatt in morning to Montreux.

Day 10: Flight at 7pm Zurich airport.

I have few questions:

1. As a foreigner, can I buy Swiss Travel Pass online and receive an e-ticket that allows me to print at home? This ticket will be valid to be used at Switzerland later?

2. I plan to buy a Swiss Travel Pass of Consecutive 8 days that cover from Day 2 to Day 9. Do you think this pass option is more money saving for me? or I should choose from Day 3 to Day 10 as fare from Montreux to Zurich is significantly more expensive.

3. Is my transportation arrangement for Day 6 that travels from Grindelwald to Zermatt allows me to take the Glacier express? The only train I noted departing from Brig to Zermatt is at 15:55pm, this makes me arrive at late evening at Zermatt, do I have better option that allows me have a chance to take Glacier express? I plan the transportation this way as I wish to have a seat on Glacier express.

3. Are seat reservations a must on both Glacier express and Golden pass?

4. Would you suggest some places of interest/activity for Day 8 at Zermatt?

5. Day 9 I would be visiting Chillion Castle, would you recommend some other places of interest nearby for Day 9 and Day 10, Geneva maybe? That still allows me to have spare time to catch the flight.

6. For Day 3, due to time constraint, I can only go to one of the mountains, which would you recommend?

Sorry for my long thread, help from all of you are much appreciated! Thank you very much!

1960man
1960man
2906 posts
top member
Nov 25, 2021 - 12:47 AM in reply to Shang

Take care with the Glacier Express concept.

The modern day Glacier Express brand is extremely well marketed, but masks some facts, the most important one being that it runs East - West across the southern extremity of Switzerland, so does not fit in to all Swiss holiday itineraries.

Your currently planned itinerary falls into that category.

The Glacier Express trains are special trains on the Rhaetische Bahn (RhB) and Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) railway company lines which run in addition to normal ordinary service trains. The 'panoramic' coaches on these trains require a reservation or supplementary fare to be paid in addition to the normal fare. In all cases ordinary trains can be travelled on on the RhB/MGB network without paying any additional fare.

In all cases if you choose (or find yourself on) an ordinary train you won't miss the scenery as all Swiss train carriages on these lines have large windows giving good views.

Neither Luzern nor Interlaken /Jungfrau area are recommended as a good base from which to go and travel on the Glacier Express. The Glacier Express runs East - West across the southern edge of Switzerland, and Luzern is to the north.

If you were thinking of using the Glacier Express on just Brig - Zermatt, that is largely pointless, as it is the least interesting section of the Glacier Express. Andermatt - Brig - Zermatt section of the Glacier express is not the most scenic section of the Glacier Express route, which lies west of Andermatt towards Chur.

Shang
Shang
3 posts
Nov 25, 2021 - 4:00 AM in reply to 1960man

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Guess I would have to drop the idea of taking Glacier express unless I am travelling from St-Moritz to Zermatt.

Is taking Golden pass rail from Lucern to Interlaken for my itinerary is a good arrangement?

How about my other doubts?

Thank you so much! :D

Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
187 posts
Nov 25, 2021 - 5:07 AM in reply to Shang

Day 3 Mount Titlis - I found it to be best in 3. Pl check weather and keep plan flexible

Also you can do mount Pilatus on Day 2

Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days should be OK for you. Difference between 8 days and 15 days is only CHF 71 and it will pay for itself in additional 2 days

Other option is Swiss Half Fare Card but I prefer Swiss Travel Pass over Half Card due to convenience. It may not be cheapest

Cheers

Shang
Shang
3 posts
Nov 25, 2021 - 12:14 PM in reply to Shroffchetan

Thanks for the reply!

1. As a foreigner, can I buy Swiss Travel Pass online and receive an e-ticket that allows me to print at home? This ticket will be valid to be used at Switzerland later?

4. Would you suggest some places of interest/activity for Day 8 at Zermatt if I had chosen Peak2 Peak pass for the other day in Zermatt?

Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
187 posts
Nov 25, 2021 - 12:43 PM

1 For online Swiss Travel Pass: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

2. If you are not skiing what you should be doing is a question mark

Ildiko
Ildiko
1355 posts
top member &
Nov 25, 2021 - 4:53 PM in reply to Shang

Hi Shang and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. At the moment we have a great promotion, make sure, to have a look at it, as you can save up to 25%. You'll find all the details in the first post of this thread: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-25-off-until-11-december-2021. You can use the Swiss Travel Pass in whole of Switzerland, see the validity map at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. Also you do not even need to print it, you can use it from your mobile - read carefully at www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse to learn how.

If you need a pas just for an extra day, have a look at the Saver Day Pass: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass. Make sure to check the validity map at the 'Where is it valid" tab.

In case you ever doubt which option is the best for you, use our calculation spreadsheet. You can download it from www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

I am also with 1960man, that the Brig-Zermatt part of the Glacier Express is not bad, but not the most impressive.

Traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken by the Golden Pass, makes sense, and will be a good choice: www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere. You do not need a seat reservation for the Golden Pass.

In Zermatt you can also visit Sunnegga - Rothorn, see the details at www.myswissalps.com/sunneggarothorn, although the most impressive peaks - according to my opinion - are Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn (www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities).

If you are staying in Montreux, make sure to have a walk on the Promenade - it is so wonderful there. You'll find other activity tips at www.myswissalps.com/montreux/activities. You can also visit Vevey (small town) or Lausanne from Montreux. Lausanne has a great Olympic Museum. For more tips visit www.myswissalps.com/lausanne/activities.

I hope I haven't missed any of your questions, but if you still have any, please feel free to ask. :)

Ildiko

Last modified on Nov 25, 2021 - 4:55 PM by Ildiko
TravelElla
TravelElla
40 posts
Nov 26, 2021 - 4:49 PM in reply to 1960man

Hello 1960man

Regarding your info on the Glacier Express.

If we then want to travel the Glacier Express Route BUT on Regional Trains (normal ordinary service trains) from Zermatt to Chur, is it then the following lines that I have to use:

Zermatt - Visp

Visp - Andermatt

Andermatt - Chur

Are these the trains that you say also have large windows?

We can use a Saver Day Pass @ CHF 52 for the entire route, right, without paying extra as on the Glacier Express for a seat reservation and a supplement fee. Correct?

If I do my homework regarding the timetables for the above lines, will it be possible to do this route on our own? Are there enough ordinary trains running this route to get connections quite easily?

We don't mind to change trains with our luggage and even wait for a while on a train station to get the next train to the next town.

I have read your info on another thread re the Glacier Express, and because this is a very long route, it might be "okay/good" not to do the whole journey without stops in between. Maybe this will keep us wide awake :) !!!

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

TravelElla

Anna
Anna
1705 posts
top member &
Nov 26, 2021 - 6:44 PM in reply to TravelElla

Hi Travel Ella,

If you wish to travel on the Glacier Express route from Zermatt to Chur with regular trains, you will need to switch trains in Visp, Andermatt and Disentis. I think there are connections every hour. Please check the timetable and make sure you go via Andermatt, otherwise the timetable will give you the fastest connection which is usually via Bern or Zurich.

Glacier Express trains have panoramic windows (floor to ceiling height). The differences between panoramic and regular trains are explained here (scroll down to section regular trains versus Glacier Express): www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 26, 2021 - 6:45 PM by Anna
TravelElla
TravelElla
40 posts
Nov 28, 2021 - 12:23 PM in reply to Anna

Hello Anna

Thank you for the info regarding the different stops on the Glacier Route to switch trains if we travel with regular trains.

I have looked at the advanced timetable and different schedules and this seems easily manageable to do it on our own.

Regards

TravelElla

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 25% discount
Available until 11 December 2021. Book 11 months in advance. Free cancellation.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/home.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021