Packing for a trip to Engelberg & Titlis in Sept

• anthonym
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 August 2022 at 4:30:48 #828058

Hi,

I will be travelling to the Swiss Alps for a couple of days in mid-September. I will be staying in Engelberg and am planning to take a gondola to the top of Mt. Titlis.

Does it snow around this time of the year? Also, does anyone have any advice on how I should pack? For example, is it advisable to bring thermals, a heavy snow jacket or lightweight jacket, snow pants or regular jeans, gloves, beanie? I would like to avoid packing too many bulky items as I’m restricted in terms of luggage and I’ll also be travelling to other countries in Europe where the weather is warmer.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but this will be my first time experiencing such cold weather and potentially seeing snow, so I would like to make sure that I’m dressed appropriately.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    13 August 2022 at 8:10:10 #945559

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It hardly snows in September. I reckon it’ll be rather warm in Engelberg. However, Titlis has snow at the summit all year round. It might be cold and chilly up there so bring a jacket (light one) and wear layers to keep warm. Regular jeans is fine in September. Gloves and beanies recommended if you plan to play in the snow.

Be sure to check this short guide on the seasonal weather in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit. Also you’ll find some useful tips about packing according to the weather here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather

Regards,

Anna

anthonym
    Participant
    3 posts
    14 August 2022 at 11:05:43 #945560

Thank you Anna. That was really helpful. It seems like the weather can be quite unpredictable.

Do I need any specific shoes or would a pair of sneakers be OK to wear on Mt Titlis?

Thanks,

Anthony

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 August 2022 at 14:43:29 #945561

Hi Anthony,

I’d personally advise firmer shoes at Titlis, especially if you want to get out in the snow. But if you plan no special activities and if it’s not too cold, you’ll manage with sneakers. At least make sure they’re water proof.

anthonym
    Participant
    3 posts
    16 August 2022 at 2:42:02 #945562

Thanks Arno.

That’s helpful to know.

Thanks,

Anthony

• The thread ‘Packing for a trip to Engelberg & Titlis in Sept’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.