Paris to Switzerland cheapest way to go

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2010 at 11:07:11 #804065

Hi,
    we are planing to go paris to switzerland in last week of december. what is the cheapest way to go there. I saw eurail is expensive. is there any local transportation or bus services. and also which place/city is better to stay for 3 days which is better in terms of views and cheap.Sorry! I have tight budget. thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 November 2010 at 13:58:54 #832012

Hello Gangati,

Welcome to the forum! I would recommend to stay in a town near the mountains which is easy accessible, and make day trips from there. Interlaken, or one of its surrounding villages, is what comes to my mind. Suggestions for relatively cheap hotels can be found on this website. As for traveling: a ticket for a budget airline or high speed train can be quite cheap, but that’s usually only when you book well in advance (2-3 months) and not in high season. Many Europeans have a couple of days off around Christmas, so I would expect more travelers in the last week of December, which could result in more expensive tickets. I suggest to search for those tickets as soon as possible. CheapOair currently offers cheap tickets from Paris to Geneva for that week. Train tickets can be found here. A rail pass you might want to look into to get discounts on excursions is the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Card.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2010 at 15:32:21 #832013

Hello,
    Thank you so much. This is really very informative. I also want to go london from switzerland for 4 days. can you also send me the information regarding that trip. which is the cheapest way to go London. from which place Switzerland it will be better to take transportation to London.
    thanks

[quote]Arno said: Hello Gangati,
    Welcome to the forum! I would recommend to stay in a town near the mountains which is easy accessible, and make day trips from there. Interlaken, or one of its surrounding villages, is what comes to my mind. Suggestions for relatively cheap hotels can be found on this website. As for traveling: a ticket for a budget airline or high speed train can be quite cheap, but that’s usually only when you book well in advance (2-3 months) and not in high season. Many Europeans have a couple of days off around Christmas, so I would expect more travelers in the last week of December, which could result in more expensive tickets. I suggest to search for those tickets as soon as possible. CheapOair currently offers cheap tickets from Paris to Geneva for that week. Train tickets can be found here. A rail pass you might want to look into to get discounts on excursions is the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Card.
    I hope this gets you started![/quote]

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 November 2010 at 16:04:24 #832014

Hi Gangati,

More or less the same goes for London – Switzerland. Please check the London – Switzerland page for details about this trip by train. By train, Basel can be reached easily from London. Zurich and Geneva take a bit more time but there’s not a big difference.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 November 2010 at 16:17:24 #832015

thanks, But price didnt come out 107 pound per person. It is very expensive 307 pond for 2 person..I dont no how do I get cheap fare going 17 dec return 21 dec..

[quote]Arno said: Hi Gangati,
    More or less the same goes for London – Switzerland. Please check the London – Switzerland page for details about this trip by train. By train, Basel can be reached easily from London. Zurich and Geneva take a bit more time but there’s not a big difference.[/quote]

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 November 2010 at 10:53:34 #832016

Hello Gangati. As you’ll be travelling in the very popular last week of December, prices will probably turn out higher than average. What’s your country of residence? Maybe I know another reseller.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2010 at 11:05:05 #832017

NEW YORK, USA
    I saw the hotel. I dont know why all hotel have single person accommodation in single room otherwise you have to take double room which has 2 small bed, which turn out very expensive. In USA if you are booking a single room it means two person accommodation. can you tell me little bit more about this concept. usually people go for vacation as a couple..
    Which place or village near Interlaken has cheap accommodation and also has nearby public transportation.
    Sorry for ignorance,
    thanks for you time.

[quote]Annika said: Hello Gangati. As you’ll be travelling in the very popular last week of December, prices will probably turn out higher than average. What’s your country of residence? Maybe I know another reseller.[/quote]

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 November 2010 at 11:20:22 #832018

Hi Gangati. You can also book your European train tickets through RailEurope.

I’m not sure which hotel you’re checking out now. The room policies may differ per hotel. Some have specific rooms for singles, which have only one bed indeed. Travelling as a couple requires you to book a double room in that case. I suggest that you contact the hotel(s) you’re interested in to ask for specific information. Please take a look at the cheap hotel overview in the Jungfrau region for some more ideas on affordable accommodation. The villages listed here all have excellent public transportation facilities. Wilderswil is the one located most centrally. You may take a look at Bönigen as well, although this doesn’t have a railway station but a bus service instead. You may be interested in our tips for budget holidays as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2010 at 0:38:40 #832019

Hi Annika,
    you are awesome!! As you said, If you know any reseller in USA, please let me know. thanks
    [quote]Annika said: Hi Gangati. You can also book your European train tickets through RailEurope.
    I’m not sure which hotel you’re checking out now. The room policies may differ per hotel. Some have specific rooms for singles, which have only one bed indeed. Travelling as a couple requires you to book a double room in that case. I suggest that you contact the hotel(s) you’re interested in to ask for specific information. Please take a look at the cheap hotel overview in the Jungfrau region for some more ideas on affordable accommodation. The villages listed here all have excellent public transportation facilities. Wilderswil is the one located most centrally. You may take a look at Bönigen as well, although this doesn’t have a railway station but a bus service instead. You may be interested in our tips for budget holidays as well.[/quote]

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 November 2010 at 13:59:31 #832020

Hello gangati. You’re welcome! You can take a look at our USA partner RailEurope for booking your European train tickets. Good luck!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2010 at 3:03:25 #832021

Depending on your other plans, you can cheap tickets on http://www.tgv-europe.ch/fr/ and http://www.sncf.fr websites. I have personally seen Paris to Basel for 20 and 30 EUR !
    But you must reserve in advance.

Try looking on low cost airline websites, particularly to Basel airport

There are discounted overnight coach services from Porte de Bagnolet too to Basel and Zurich

• The thread ‘Paris to Switzerland cheapest way to go’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.